• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Barrett-Jackson Auction Results

bugimike

Yoda
I have been watching on and off, but have not seen that car yet. Will watch and post what it goes for if I see it!

TR_Jim

Jedi Trainee
It sold for $38,500.00

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Great! I hoped it would be more but with the NADA Classics price guide at $25,400 and the buyer commission at the auction (10%), I can spend a lot more $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on my car (LOL) and justify to the wife!!!!!!!

Thanks

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Apbos, be sure and post on the forum how you justified the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ expenditures to the wife. This information is of extreme interest to others--Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

G

Thank goodness for B-J, eh? Just think of all those TR4 owners out there showing their wives the article on the TR4 that sold for a Zillion dollars......

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Not sure about "frothy"....

the '59 Imperial that sold for $135,000 was dolled up at a local body shop in Iola, WI last month. Nice car...non-original paint color.

The '59 DeSoto was restored in the same shop. It took a year from an original, super-low mileage original (3,200 miles, I think) to the record-breaking (for a DeSoto) $285,000 car.

Both cars are (or were) owned by Jesse Ruffalo of Plainfield, WI. The Imperial was nice...but kind of gaudy for me...The DeSoto was fabulous.

I WAS surprised at the #'s the DeSoto brought...Ruffalo had $100K in it...bought it for about $50k and it cost $50k to restore. It was a lower priced model and only had the 361/two barrel engine.

I looked at both cars three weeks ago in the resto shop of Dave and Jerry Kopecky who did the DeSoto resto....

You can never tell...

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Gosh and I thought I was the only one using that line on my Wife! Whenever I say that she gives me one of those funny Wifely looks..........

Tinkerman

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
YankeeTR said:
...The '59 DeSoto was restored in the same shop. It took a year from an original, super-low mileage original (3,200 miles, I think) to the record-breaking (for a DeSoto) $285,000 car....
There's pretty much nothing in this hobby that irritates me more than hearing about something like that. Short of it being dug it out of an oceanside beach, what could possibly be so bad about such a low-mileage original that someone would destroy pretty much every trace of that originality by "restoring" it? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

cyaker

The 73 TR-6 went for $26,400. Pictures look like a solid restoration and probably a fair price. Not quite up to the $5 million that Carroll Shelby's personal Cobra just went for.

D

DougF

I'm guessing that the DeSoto is the same one that was highlighted a while ago in Auto Restorer magazine. If so, there wasn't really anything wrong with the car. It was a time capsule.
I recently saw a lead in on a hotrod restoration show where the fellow was going to rod an old Packard, one of a handfull built. Yes, it is his car and he can do with it what he wants, but it's sad to see that bit of history being destroyed by torches, welders, big blocks and day-glo paint.
It would have been like giving the Mona Lisa to Andy Warhol for fixing.

spooch22

That is good news on the TR6!! I know the prices at barret are high but I still think these cars are just starting their climb.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Andrew Mace said:
YankeeTR said:
...The '59 DeSoto was restored in the same shop. It took a year from an original, super-low mileage original (3,200 miles, I think) to the record-breaking (for a DeSoto) $285,000 car....
There's pretty much nothing in this hobby that irritates me more than hearing about something like that. Short of it being dug it out of an oceanside beach, what could possibly be so bad about such a low-mileage original that someone would destroy pretty much every trace of that originality by "restoring" it? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
Andrew,
I understand your point...however if you had a chance to turn your Herald into a $200,000 seller for a $50K investment in only one year I would think you would probably take advantage of that, wouldn't you?

I understand that more and more of these cars are being built just for the B-J auction...but really, when you see these cars in person and get a chance to see the incredible detail that has gone into the resto, it's hard NOT to be impressed.

Back in the late 80's one of my customers paid $1,000,000 for a '39 MB 540K Special Roadster...he spent another $1,000,000 doing the restoration. When it was done he showed it and then sold it for a reported $3,000,000.

Not a bad profit...and it's currently back in Europe on display in a museum, I've been told.

I really prefer original cars and survivors rather than ANY restoration... but people over-restore houses, too....

trrobbie

Freshman Member
Hey All , Some of these cars it seems to me are being sold (and bought) by people that have more money then brains. Granted, the market will go the way it will. BUT I have a hard time with some of those cars going for such a price. Most of the time its selling for that much just becouse of some old owner(as in the Shelby case) or becouse the market will bare that amount. Most of these cars anyway will just end up in some privete parking spot or collection. I can`t see paying such a price for something that I`m afread to drive becouse if something ever happened to it I`d be out a bunch more money.(kinda like driveway jewlery) More money then brains is what comes to mind here! Maybe I`m just old fashened in my thinking, but is ANY car REALLY worth that kind of $$? In the case of a house I can buy it for that kind of $$, live in it for a while, and then get (hopefully most) of my money back.(+ have something USEFUL to show for my money. i.e. "get your monies worth") Just a few of my thoughts, Robbie in wyoming

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
MANY of these high-dollar rides are bought for investments...some will increase in value...some won't.

The real estate market also rises and falls...just ask anyone who lost their butt in Silicon Valley after the tech-stock debacle of several years ago.

These cars may only be a small part of a portfolio worth millions of dollars...but you certainly can't DRIVE a stock certificate!