• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another Hydraulic Fluid Reservoir Question

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Frank's Question reminded me of one I've been pondering (didn't want to hijack the thread).
Question: were does the Gerling reservoir label go on the can with reference to the seams? I've seen labels facing the front of the car, but on mine there's a seem running there.
John

Twosheds

Darth Vader
I think you line up the CLUTCH and BRAKE labels on the sticker with their respective fittings on the bottom. Clutch is the inner reservoir.

Or I could be mistaken!

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
JohnnyMead said:
Frank's Question reminded me of one I've been pondering (didn't want to hijack the thread).
Question: were does the Gerling reservoir label go on the can with reference to the seams? I've seen labels facing the front of the car, but on mine there's a seem running there.
John

Johnny: You would think that the answer would be intuitive. Well, it is if you live in the UK, or Japan, etc.

The simple answer is that the decal needs to be aligned so that the words, "BRAKE" and "CLUTCH" are just above their respective outlet fittings. If you have plumbed your lines correctly and assuming that your car is left-hand steering, the decal , when aligned correctly, will face somewhat towards the engine and not out towards the driver-side wing. The bottom edge of the decal should be about 3/16" to 3/8" from the rolled edge of the can. You should be able to read the 'BRAKE' and 'CLUTCH' markings without having the mounting strap lying over top them.

Regarding the decals, the originals were water transfers rather than sticky adhesive, but they were light rather than
dark blue, and had the 'BRAKE' and 'CLUTCH' markings on the bottom to indicate the lines. The dark blue water transfers available now may not have these markings so unless they've changed them the sticky ones are the only "correct" option.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Frank, you and I were separated at birth.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
My seam is facing the passenger side of the car. If I apply the decal at that point the seam will run right through the center of the decal. Don't figure that would be too good. But that is the only make sense way to do it, if you want the decal to represent where the fittings are. On mine the small clutch can and the clutch fitting is at the front of the can and the brake is at the rear or bulkhead side of the can. Since I am using the original (refurbished) can it will not go any other way. I tried rotating it 180 degrees but the footprint of the original fittings and more importantly the clutch can, was such that I couldn't get it to stop leaking. So I am going to put the decal as close to the can seal as possible to allow some reasonable representation of what's inside and call it a day.

FWIW, Tinkerman

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Dick: I see no problem with the decal being on the seam, but can you fiddle (bend) the lines a little to shift the position of the can?

Twosheds

Darth Vader
angelfj said:
John: I always wanted a younger brother. Had one, but he died shortly after birth - his given name was "John". :smile:

My brother's name is Frank. 16 years older!

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
angelfj said:
Dick: I see no problem with the decal being on the seam, but can you fiddle (bend) the lines a little to shift the position of the can?

Frank this last installation of the can was the 7th or 8th time that I took it apart due to leaks. It is now not leaking at the unions, I've done all the tweaking of those bloody lines that I intend to, heh. No leaks! yea! Label will go some where. I will give that seam a close look Frank, that would be the Ideal place to put it.
By the way that IS kinda spooky about you and two Sheds, wow.

Tinkerman

OP
JohnnyMead

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
thanks for the input everyone. I looked closely at the can and discovered that the brake and clutch pipes are the exact reverse of the labels on the sticker! they are connected to the right inner chambers so I guess over the years the system got rebuilt and the plumbing redone and the can turned around. Anyway, maybe that's why the seam is on the front.
I'm going to stick that label on the front, over the seam and enjoy it!
Thanks again for the information. This forum is certainly part of the fun of owning a Triumph.
John