• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A Great Healey Reunion Story

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
What a wonderful story of an Australian Healey reunion. Be sure to watch the video!

"I've made mention several times over the years on this forum of the lovely old Healey 3000I used to own back in the sixties and seventies. This was the car that my wife Lyn and I rode away from our wedding in, took our very young kids on interstate trips to attend Healey Club rallies, and even left parked in a dirt car park (Fish Lane for you old Brisbaneites) while we walked over the old Victoria Bridge to work in the CBD.

Here's a shot of it out the back of Wolston House, taken in 1977.

Download-File

In 1976, with the arrival of our third child, family outings in the Healey came to an end. A fourth bedroom was needed so a heart-wrenching decision was made to sell the Healey to finance house extensions and install a swimming pool so as to provide entertainment for the family at home. On a very sad day just after Christmas 1979 I saw the Healey loaded onto the back of a truck and disappear down the road bound for its new home in Nowra, leaving me with a horrible sick feeling that I'd never see her again. Nothing was heard of the car for years and years. Not even the sharpest-eyed NSW Healey guys ever spotted it.

I'll let Craig take up the story ...

It is difficult to convey the depth of feeling that the return of a much loved and greatly missed car after half a lifetime's absence can bring about. They're inanimate objects after all but we who love our cars understand that this bald statement misses the point entirely. I'm so grateful to have the old girl back in my care once again and I can't thank Craig enough for planning the whole secretive business of buying the car, having it recommissioned by a Healey restoration firm in Sydney with everything that could rot perish corrode or leak being replaced or rebuilt, trucking it to Brisbane and then spending three weeks finalising the work, attending to those million and one things required to finish awakening an old car from thirty-six years of slumber in a shed, having it registered with the original rego number, and then getting us out of the house so he could slip it into the garage in readiness to lay the greatest stunning surprise on me that I will ever receive.

I was too shaken to drive the car on its "welcome home" whiz around the block. I truly felt a little out of touch with reality so I was content to let Craig do the honours.

Download-File

That was yesterday. Today I renewed acquaintance with this lovely old Healey with a gentle drive around our suburb. Past memories of my time with her long ago when we were both much younger came rushing back. I'm so happy to have custody of her once again and we'll have more good fun together until at some time in the future when she'll pass safely into Craig's care."

https://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/134568-long-lost-healey-returns.html

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OH !! that is a good one for you Rick, clad to see old friends happy--Keoke-:encouragement:

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes a great story, and I am thrilled to have played a small part in this reunion.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rick,
I was advised a couple of months ago that OLS 352 was advertised for sale on e-bay. As Craig's video said,Don sold this car in 1979 and it was never heard of again, not at any AHOC events or National Rallies or anything. I hoped it would eventually turn up, and so it did. I advised Don (and Joe Jarick, another previous owner). Don discussed the matter with his son, Craig and the rest is history. My small part was in indirectly making Craig aware of the car's availability.
Cheers,
Alwyn

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Great way to start the morning ! Thanks for posting this Rick !
Regards
Mike