• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A bizarre Bugeye story and a surf buddy

BrianN

My son went off to college about nine years ago. Through his teenage years he drove a 1959 Bugeye which his grandfather had given him. The car was not running and had been sitting for about 17 years, so Burt gave it to him I think more to clean up his yard, than actually think it would ever be on the road again. But Andy and I tore into it and soon installed MKII disc brakes, engine, and transmission. Away he roared! He loved that car. It had a roll bar, and a strange "rumble seat", which was actually a butchered repair to a rear end collision. My father in law, the long time owner, had five kids. He owned the car while in the Navy in South Carolina (where he crashed the rear end into a tree or something while horsing around). As he worked in the machine shop at the ship yard, he made the repairs Navy style. Lots of stainless steel and fancy welding. He moved his family to California in the late 60's. The car ran a bit after the move, but mostly it sat. Until it finally just sat.

17 years later Andy had it on the road, driving it regularly for about three years, until he went off to Montana to attend the university. Well, the car had to be sold at that time so he could pay for a computer he needed at school. In short order several people responded to the ad and were racing over to the house in "gotta have it" mode. Sold.

Some time later we heard through the grapevine it was damaged and then repaired at a local body shop, who took out the rumble seat and made a proper back end again. But we always kept an eye out for it at the shows and meets. Never saw it though.

A couple of weeks ago one of my surf buddies leaves me a message about an Austin Healey for sale in his neighborhood. Some old guy died a few years ago and the aged widow is now getting around to moving out some of his stuff. So Brad calls me, not knowing what kind of Healey it is, but knowing I have one, suggesting we go look at it.

The old lady pulls the tarp back and there is Andy's steering wheel. I look at the floor and see that familiar stainless steel floor. The roll bar is gone, but the pads are still on the fender wells, the tubes having been ground off at the welds. Looking into the boot the rumble seat patch is clearly visible. The car is red now. Not a bad paint job. I think the widow wanted about $6500 for it. A bit pricy in my estimation for a car that has obviously sat unattended for the last five years.

It will shortly, if not already, be on eBay, as I turned down the opportunity to snap it up again. The for sale sign said "second owner". Yeah. Try fourth. In fact, I have in my file the bill of sale from to original owner, Garfield Woodruff Danenhower III (only in the South!) to my father in law dated June 26, 1965. Price: $965.

So if you buy the car--

Now you know---

The rest of the story.

And as a footnote, it was also mentioned in an article I wrote for Old Cars Weekly, December 25, 2003 issue.

All the best.

bugeye1.jpg

Circa 1991

AndrewMawson

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, nice story. Strange how these cars seem to come back into your life isn't it? I would agree, $6,500 does indeed seem rather steep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes in that condition, but over here a totally rebuilt Frogeye in good original nick is fetching ÂŁ7,500 - ÂŁ8,000 that's $14,000 to $15,000 US. Shame I sold mine back in 1973 for ÂŁ200 ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif