• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

`59 Bugeye For Sale: Nice Driver Cond:

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

Yep; Your read right! I`m making available my `59 Bugeye. Again, 1st. here! She`s located in the "Up-State, SC" area (Greenville).

Check out my Ad in the BCF Classifieds (As soon as its approved by Basil).

Hope someone here is looking for a Nice, Orig, Reliable, stock 948cc "Frogeye/Bugeye"!

Regards, Russ

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Bill,

As a matter of fact; I have! A `57 TR3 Small Mouth in Alabama. I bought her from a long time acquaintance. Hey Bill, Is that your Bugeye thats For Sale on the Craigslist right now? $10K for a mid restoration.

Regards, Russ

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not mine. Wouldn't mind having one though. After visting Hap's shop a couple of times I am develeoping a real affinity for the A series engine.

I had a TR3 years ago and want another. Right now I have two Spits, one of which is going to have to find a new home.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Bill,

When your in the neighborhood; Why not give me a call, stop by & take a peek @ my Frogeye. You surely won`t be dis-appointed. So far; Over 260 views of my Ad & No inquires, (As Usual), which I really don`t understand??????

Regards, Russ

PS: I know a gent in "Travelers Rest" who is an "Exc" mechanic on Brit Cars if you ever need one. He`s not quick but he`s "Real Good"!! Should you like my contact phone # & his; Please PM me or send me an email (toysrrus@att.net):

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

Here`s an up-date on selling my `59 Bugeye here on the BCF.

Over 300 viewers and not as much as nibble. I really don`t understand why this does`nt work??????????? (Nothing personal Basil). I`ve posted a few cars here in the past with the same results. Why ?????????

This is one "Great" running, driving, reliable BE folks!!

Regards, Russ

PS: I just posted her on the Craigslist & I`ve rec`d. "6" Inquires "Locally"! Man, If you have an interest; You`d better make your decisions soon.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
toysrrus said:
Howdy Folks,

Over 300 viewers and not as much as nibble. I really don`t understand why this does`nt work??????????? (Nothing personal Basil). I`ve posted a few cars here in the past with the same results. Why ?????????

Regards, Russ

PS: I just posted her on the Craigslist & I`ve rec`d. "6" Inquires "Locally"! Man, If you have an interest; You`d better make your decisions soon.

I'm coming to the end of my Europa project, and looking for something else. Right now I'm just testing the water, but a Frogeye is in my scope. I've looked at your ad, but it doesn't sell the car, sorry.

A. 3 of the 4 pictures look like the car's got yellow paint dumped on it.

B. You say there's work to be done (Horn, handbrake). That's an immediate buyer put-off. If you're selling the car, fix them. A knowledgeable potential buyer will ask "if they're an easy fix, why aren't they fixed already?" Answer - can't be easy!

Therefore I'm looking at problems in a car I can't even see properly, for $13,000? Next please!

Good luck with selling the car, and I'm really only trying to answer your question.

G

Roger said:
toysrrus said:
Howdy Folks,

Regards, Russ

I'm coming to the end of my Europa project, and looking for something else. Right now I'm just testing the water, but a Frogeye is in my scope. I've looked at your ad, but it doesn't sell the car, sorry.

A. 3 of the 4 pictures look like the car's got yellow paint dumped on it.

B. You say there's work to be done (Horn, handbrake). That's an immediate buyer put-off. If you're selling the car, fix them. A knowledgeable potential buyer will ask "if they're an easy fix, why aren't they fixed already?" Answer - can't be easy!

Therefore I'm looking at problems in a car I can't even see properly, for $13,000? Next please!

Good luck with selling the car, and I'm really only trying to answer your question.

You're absolutly right about the pics. They look horrid !!! I went back after you mentioned that and you're right, the car looks like yellow paint was dumped on them hood, or acid, solvent or something else harmful to paint.

Now the repair part I'll have to disagree with you. As he said, it's a driver and not a full restored car. Horn and e brake are no big deal (at least to me). If the brakes don't work period, then that would be a problem. To me it says, "this is all it needs, eveything else is fine". Everyone knows to say nothing is wrong with one of these is a bold face lie.

If someone is frightened off by because of needed repair, they are looking at the wrong car. Even a full restored Spridget is going to need something sooner or later. If someone is afraid of getting dirty or pulling out the checkbook on a semi regular basis, then they need to look at a Miata.

Pics definaly kill it. Lack of copy also. You're not getting my 13K without a LOT more detail. Just like dating, if you expect me to give it up, you bettter have a good line and work hard at it.

Prices are down on EVERYTHING. The economy is bad and going to get worse. It's a buyer's market right now, especially on little, unreliable convertibles durring winter months.

I've got BAD news for ya. This is the WORST time of the year to sell a car, much less a "toy". Christmas is just around the corner and people are looking for the G.I Joe with the Kung Fu grip, not BE's. Factor in the economy and this could possible be the worst time EVER to sell a luxury item such as this. That's, after all, what it is, a luxury.

I've been in the used car business for 15 years and no one has EVER seen anything like this before. Several lots have gone under (including mine) and sevral other big names are about to hit bottom. A close friend has lost over 50% on his collector cars, and they are rare main stream Musclecars with wider market appeal.

Comming back over and over again saying, "why don't you want my car, it's a whopper of a deal" translates into, " HELP, HELP, I'm drowning in debt and can't unload this thing !!! I DESPERATLY need to get rid of this !!!"

This may not be the case, but it sure sounds like it. I don't believe you are, but your enthusiasim for your new project is bubbling over seeming like desperation.

Please don't take offense at any of this as none is meant. This is just an honest observation of the subject at hand. Remember, you asked.

I would LOVE to buy a BE right now, however; giving the current state of affairs, there is no way in heck I would at this time. I'm afraid others feel the same way, thus the lack of response.

Pics and copy are the main thing. I often write ads for my inventory so well that I want to buy it after I finish proof reading it. It's a gift, some are born with it, some aquire it. Either way it's a must have. You're currently competing with every other BE for sale on the PLANET right now at the WORST possible time in recent history.

Go to ebay and look at cars you like and read the ads. Figure out what you like and don't like about them, then incorporate or weed out these atributes into your ad. It's really easy, but takes a little work.

It probably wouldn't hurt to throw in a G.I Joe or "tickle me Elmo" either.

Too bad Hanna Montanna fans are too young to drive. Her pic across the hood would sell it in ten minutes for 20K. ( A phenominia (sic?) I still don't understand to this day and never will.)

Good luck, PM me if you'd like me to proof read for ya.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Gents,

I know My pics "Stink". That "Orange" appearance is "Sun Glare". After taking the pics; My Camera died.

The "Needed" Horn & Hand Brake connection; To Me, Is no big deal & to anyone "Seriously" Int. in the car probably would think or know, Its not.

"Desperate" to Sell; Heck "Yes"!! I surely need the $$$ to put into the TR3 ASAP. The plan is to have the TR3 completed and on the road by March. Un-Fortunately for myself; My name is not "Rockefeller". If it were; I`d keep the Bugeye.

In any case; I appreciate your comments & since posting the car on the Craigslist (6) folks are coming by tomorrow to view the car. If the Craigslist did`nt work; Then "Ebay" surely would as it always has in the past.

Regards, Russ

G

I figured to needed to move the car to get on the TR. Sounds like me. :blush:

Best pic light is early morning and late afternoon.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
You might want to list it on eBay. That way, you get literally worldwide exposure. I do understand that the market sucks right now, but somewhere in the world is someone who would love to have your car and has the cash for it.

I also suggest that you do a search through eBay for completed sales, and take a long look at the ads for cars that sold well. Think a bit about what, in the ad, appealed to the buyer, and, especially, gave him the confidence that the car was OK. I am astonished that people will post an ad on eBay, add four pictures, all taken with a defective cell-phone camera, very little description, or useless crap like when the registration expires, and expect someone to buy the car, sight unseen. What on earth are they thinking?

Lots of good pictures (I know that sun glare on red is a real problem; there's a lot to be said for photographing a car on a mildly cloudy day) and really good description. Frankly, I don't think you can entice someone to buy something he doesn't really want, but it is possible to write something that resonates with his desires. Trying too hard to sell it, or being too matter-of-fact, are both unhelpful.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
toysrrus said:
Howdy Gents,

The "Needed" Horn & Hand Brake connection; To Me, Is no big deal & to anyone "Seriously" Int. in the car probably would think or know, Its not.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I didn't say this earlier, because I don't really know how to phrase it without it sounding insulting, which I don't mean to be.

However, if you can't be bothered to fix minor problems before selling the car, and are asking $13,000 when it isn't strictly road legal, what does that say? What else can't you be bothered to fix? Or write about?

It's all about impression and this ad doesn't have it.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
In that same vein, I see sellers listing problems, then comments like "cheap and easy to fix", if so, why isn't already fixed? But I understand, in the grand scheme, horn and hand brake items are pretty minor, it's all about which car and in what overall condition and this one looks killer.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy kellysguy,

I posted her on the "Greenville Craigslist" the other day (Ad # 1449211326). I really don`t like the Craigslist but what the hey. I`ve rec`d. about 6 Inquires but no viewers as of yet. If she`s not sold by this coming weekend; Then ebay here she comes.

Russ

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When I sold my Bugeye in 2003 on e-bay I got $7,000 for it. It had a factory hard top and excellent paint. I had the body professionaly repaired for rust and repainted. Everything worked and it was nice enough to put in shows. It would not win awards, but it was not an embarassment either. Admittedly, the car was heavily modified with 1275 parts, including engine, tranny, brakes, wheels, and console. It was just the way I like them, but certainly not original.

I advertised it locally in the papers, at car shows and on web sites and finally went with e-bay and found someone in Florida who only bid $6,500, which did not meet my reserve. After the auction, I told him I'd give it to him for $7,000 and that was the deal.

Do I wish I got more, yes. But after marketing the thing for three months I realized that I had to take what I could. Is the market better now than it was in 2003? You tell me. I really don't know. The value has gone up over the last six years, but then the economy tanked by 40%. There is not a lot of money out there chasing toys today.

As others have said above, I don't want to sound insulting and only say this to lend advice to someone who is repeatedly asking why he is not getting any interest in his ad. I wish you the very best of luck with your sale, but I'll be surprised if you get anything like $13,000 for the car.

Country flag
Timing is important. If the economy is healthier in the spring (when people want a little red convertible) you will be more likely to get closer to your asking price.

G

I hear ya on craigslist !!! Best way to descipe that site is a public restroom.....on sevral diffent levels.

Ebay is a pain too. It took me literally 5- 13 hour days to prep the car. ('69 Super Bee), take pics, write copy, post ad............and that's before I even had to answer the first email, much less take the requested pics !!!!!

Granted, it was a good ad and presentation is everything, but it's almost a full time gig.

I still didn't get my $$$ and the car was priced low and the market was hot. ( got within $500).

Sold it though a broker for what I wanted. What a headache. Worst (difficult) deal I ever did. LOTS of stress.