• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

56th Annual Rallye Glenwood Springs

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
I know this belongs in "Events" (and it is there). But I have a special request for all MG (and other LBC) owners within a day's drive of Denver.

The Glenwood Springs Rallye seem to be getting more interest every year from the Miata clubs around the state. "Japanese Elans" already win our Funkhana nearly every year and now may start winning the rally as well, as more are coming equipped with rally computers--and rally experience--each year. :driving:

After 56 years of sponsorship by the MG Car Club Rocky Mountain Centre, we would hate to have to concede the rally to the Miata club. So, if you can make it this year, perhaps we can stave off having the Miata guys sweep the trophies for at least one more year! :winner1:

Thanks

swift6

Yoda
Steve,

If they are showing up in droves, you should tell them that they will be expected to work the event as well as participate. I know the Rocky Mountain Triumph Club helps out a lot already. Of course, thats at least keeping it British. :wink:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ha, make it for antique cars only of british linage.

OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
Shawn, until 2 years ago, several members of the Peak-to-Peak Miata Club ran the Funkhana. They volunteered for the job after winning it so many times. They did a great job, but the MG Club decided to add more non-driving components to even the odds for non-Miata drivers (and we had a new MG Club member volunteer to do it). As a consequence, we did have a couple of non-Miata trophy winners last year.

We have clubs other than the Miatas helping out, as well. As you know, the Rocky Mtn. Triumph club has staffed one of the checkpoints every year for many years and the A-H, Mini, and Jaguar clubs have also been involved. In fact, this year's rally has been written by a couple who have been in the A-H Club for decades (were MG owners in the past, but none now). They joined the MG Club this year just to do the rally.

And Jack, the Rallye was originally LBCs only. But even club members often had to drive something else in order to transport all the cones, checkpoint equipment, tents, banners, table centerpieces, etc. from Denver (Glenwood is 150 miles from Denver, where most of the members live, and 220 miles from Ft. Collins, where Shawn lives). Non-LBC classes were added back in the 1950s so all the club members could participate in at least some of the weekend activities.

ronzi

Steve,
What's up, dude?
I first went on the GW in '71 or '72, I forget which, back in the salad days of rallying. The entry list wasn't any longer than the event today, but the cars were certainly more heavily sports cars, fewer sedans, and no pickups.

Nowadays we get everything from new 4wd trucks to '50s XK Jags, and I seem to recall a Model A a couple of years ago.
Still a lot of Brit sports cars, but us old, fat people have got to have that cool air, which I think explains a lot.
RonS.

OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
ronzi said:
I first went on the GW in '71 or '72, I forget which, back in the salad days of rallying. The entry list wasn't any longer than the event today, but the cars were certainly more heavily sports cars, fewer sedans, and no pickups.
I think you hit the nail on the head, Ron. Rallying doesn't seem to be as popular today, except for the Miata clubs. This may be due, at least in part, to insurance costs. The insurers have pulled out of anything that has "speed" in the description and is run by amateurs, including "time-speed-distance." But the MG Club is growing and some of the new members are under 40, so there is still hope for the future!

swift6

Yoda
Steve,

We were talking about this at one of the local Saturday morning coffee/car talk gatherings at The Motorway this morning in Fort Collins. Someone thought they remembered hearing (hearsay, I know) that a few years ago the Miata crowd was passing information throughout their club to try and sweep the tour. Did that happen?

I thought the RMTC did a lot, or at one time, for the car-show as well as operating a checkpoint.

OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
I don't know the answer to that question, Shawn. It may just be a rumor or there may be some basis for it, but I have never heard any confirmation.

The RMTC also helps with the car show--Dave Fain has run it for years. But he is a member of both the MG and Triumph clubs, even though he only drives a Triumph, as are Bob Gloyd and I, who own both MGs and Triumphs.

Shinsen774

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Add two events:

One for positive earth ground vehicular wiring diagnosis and repair.

One for oil drip Rorshack interpretation.

That'll level the laying field.

swift6

Yoda
Shinsen774 said:
Add two events:

One for positive earth ground vehicular wiring diagnosis and repair.

One for oil drip Rorshack interpretation.

The British Motoring Club of Northern Colorado has an annual rallye called the "Oil Spot Rallye". One of the contests, second to the rallye but with bigger trophies usually, is for the largest oil spot and the most artistic oil spot. These two awards are where the rallye gets its name. Blotter paper is placed under the cars after they finish the rallye. Later they are pulled and judged (often by popular choice) to determine the winners of these two, now prestigious, awards. Which Miata's have never won. :wink:

swift6

Yoda
MGA Steve said:
I don't know the answer to that question, Shawn. It may just be a rumor or there may be some basis for it, but I have never heard any confirmation.

That's why I asked about it. Wasn't sure if it was jealous rumor or real.

You might start a classification system separating the traditional British entrants from non-British. Although I understand it could add to the complexity of awards. As the events coordinator for the BMCNC this year I have done that. Any non-British car gets classed in to the "other" category. Our charter specifically states that we are a British based club so the classes, for events that need them, focus on British cars.

OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
For the rally, we have classes for "computer/calculator," 2 classes for non-computer/calculator (ie., seat-of-the-pants): "experienced" and "novice," and a vintage class (pre-1972, no limit on equipment, but any rally computer must be "period-specific" for the age of the car). Obviously someone could cheat if they really wanted to, but we have to trust that most of the rallyists are honest.

For the tour, we have an "MG" class, a "historic" (pre-1960) class, and a "modern" class. The basis for that division is to encourage the MG-T, MGA, A-H 100, Jag XK, and TR2/3 owners to drive their cars on the tour. But last year we also had a very rare (due to WWII) 1942 Ford in that class.

However, I wonder if the historic class shouldn't be extended to 1972, or even 1981, to include most or all of the LBCs. Of course, new MINI's would still have to compete with the Miatas in the modern class. But since they are really BMW's, I don't know that it is a significant problem (except to the MINI clubs!).

For the car show, we have multiple classes for MG and Triumph, plus Spridgets, Big Healey, Jaguar, new MINI, other British (which has been most recently won by an Aston-Martin, an old Mini, an Allard, and a TVR), other European, American, and Asian. We also have a Best-of-Show, which last year was won by a 1934 MG PA. Don't think a Miata could win that last award.

Only the Funkhana doesn't have any classes. That is why the Miatas could sweep the 3 top places several years in a row.

Finally, we have the Bill Barker Traveling Trophy awarded to the person with the lowest total score by combining the rally, tour, and car show results.

swift6

Yoda
Not many British clubs seem to do Funkhana's or Gymkhana's (autocross) any more on the small club level. So not many of the brit drivers are very experienced, or seem to care to be, in these events anymore. We used to put on Funkhana's up here but lack of attendance has all but eliminated them. There was plenty of interest, just not attendance. The Miata clubs might do more of it and be better practiced. Not much to do about that.

The local MINI clubs, especially 5280, should be able to more than hold their own against the Miata crowd if they want to. Their typical attendance to their own events are very high and their membership numbers are over 200 and growing. Or so I'm told. :wink:

OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
I think the only reason we have as many participants in the
funkhana as we do is because it is held at the same time as the car show and at the same park. That way people can do both by taking a half hour in the middle of the show to run the funkhana.

Although we do get a small group of new MINI's, I would expect more participation from them in the future. I know their clubs are growing--just look at the Conclave--but don't know how much rally experience they have.

If you know any MINI owners in the BMCNC who are just getting started, let them know that Glenwood is a good place to learn to rally. Or, if they want to learn by staffing a checkpoint, we can certainly arrange that as well.

swift6

Yoda
We have a hard time keeping interest in proper TSD's anymore. Everyone just wants to drive somewhere and eat. With no pressure on the driving.

OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
Great idea, guys! :thumbsup:

We need to add an "oil spot test" to the end of the Funkhana, right after the cars cross the finish line. We could place a "target" beneath the oil pan and assign points to each ring, just like in darts. The bigger the oil spot, the more points.

THAT would be a way to level the playing field for the LBCs!!! :lol:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I win. LOL

swift6

Yoda
We had a member who used to win the largest oil spot award with no real competitors. It was an unrestored MGTD. When he would pull into a gas station he would check the gas and fill the oil. If he drove through a puddle it would look like the Exxon Valdez had been for a visit. That car eventually retired from oil spot competition, it's now restored.

OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
We discussed the "oil spot" idea at the MGCC meeting Wednesday night and everyone was in favor. So, look for an Oil Spot Test in the Glenwood Funkhana this year!

:winner1: NOT a Miata!