• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

3rd brake light or LED's

tomnanney

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have a 1967 BJ8 and want to use LED bulbs in the brake lights. Has anyone used the LiteZupp ind. bulbs for brake lights? I have used them on a TR 3 and they are fine, but I was just wandering about the Healey? Also, anything new out in the 3rd. Brake light category?
thanks
tom

TodE

Jedi Hopeful
Tom,

I put them on my 100. Not on the road yet, but they are much brighter than the standard bulbs. I am using neg ground which they did fine without any other modifications.
Tod

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There may be a Heat issue with the BJ8 Plastic Brake Light lenses.-?

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
No, the LEDs produce less heat. Mine are brighter, but occasional start blinking for some reason. I added a third brake light to protect me and the car. We went on a long rally with the Miata club and they really complained about the stock lights not being bright enough so they did not know we were stopping.

Jerry

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Third brake lights involve a balance of safety and esthetics.

I opted to install a separate light bar as shown in the photo which comes on, in addition to the stock brake lights. I also electrified the stock reflector pods for turn signals.

Attachments

• 3rdbrakelight.JPG
    3rdbrakelight.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 186

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Tom,

To answer your question, I would agree with Michael and suggest the implementation of a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] brake light as it is usually mounted high on the back of the car and, even when implemented with multiple LEDs, will be viewed much closer on-axis to appear bright. Since the brake light will only be applied when the brake is applied, it will appear abruptly and with no need for a differentiation from running lights.

LED Implementation
I have tried to find a reasonably priced LED for a while now and all those professing a brighter output then the standard 1157 incandescent have disappointed. When evaluating LED implementation cost (LED + resistor or electronic flasher) against the delivered benefits of light and longevity, I have found that the change to LEDs does not deliver the light output, signal differentiation, or longevity (installed 10 years at my cars less than frequent use) for a better economic package.

Please don’t misunderstand. I am not against the use of LEDs, however, I have read and found that LEDs provide bright light … but only when viewed on-axis could the light appear greater then the standard incandescent 1157 brake and signal. When viewed off-axis however, LED light output will appear much diminished the further the viewer moves away from on-axis and will appear much less then its replaced incandescent.

Since the BJ8 Phase 1 and earlier Healeys have a rather low-positioned tail light assembly, the closer a following driver comes to the rear of an LED equipped Healey, the more acute the viewing angle and dimmer its appearance, however, the farther back a driver follows, the more direct the viewing angle and brighter the running and signal lights will appear (less atmospheric distance deterioration). Further, where an 1157 replacement LED is used, the differentiation between the running light and signal light is not as obvious as with an incandescent (the signal light usually provides 2x the output of the running light) and may not provide the brake or directional notification you are looking for.

I, personally, do not see much benefit in replacing my running/signal lights with LEDs and, although others profess satisfaction with LEDs, have not yet found a reasonable cost/benefit to justify their implementation.

Hopes this helps,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
My third brake light is just like Michael's. We must have read the same article. I think it is off a Surburban. It is held on by two small screws. Could easily be removed and the holes filled with paint.

Jerry

Gearhead_Garage

Jedi Hopeful
I put LED rear lights from SuperBrightLEDs.com in the rear. They are definitely brighter, take less power, and you have an option for a wider spread angle so they are quite viewable. I also converted my rear reflectors to halogen brake lights and they are plenty bright.

Duncan M

Freshman Member
LED lights are polarity sensitive. Lots of people think that means if you have a positive ground car you need to get overpriced "special" ones from Moss or something along those lines. If you are just talking an extra brake light on a pos grnd car, be sure and hook the red wire to ground, and the black wire to a power wire. Simple as that.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well if you guys install a hefty diode with a small forward voltage drop and a small relay you can have a high visibility tail lamp as well as a high visibility stop lamp=3rd brake light] . Normally, the voltage is reduced to the lamps when the light switch is turned on. The slight voltage drop produced by the diode reduces the lamp brightness slightly and it can remain on. When the Brake is used the relay is activated and shorts out the diode causing the lamp to brighten.

My lamp is mounted using two SS hose clamps attached to the raised bar at the back of my luggage rack.

CharlieCarpenter

Keoke: Do you have a picture and the info of the lamp you chose? I want to install mine on the luggage rack too as I can't even think about drilling holes in the body.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Keoke: Do you have a picture and the info of the lamp you chose? I want to install mine on the luggage rack too as I can't even think about drilling holes in the body.

No I do not . I walked into Idustrial liqidators one week end there they were and cheap. I tried to locate their source but was unable too. However, they were designed to be recessed in the rear of an automobile panel.
Most of the current in the trunk lid led lamps should work.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
No modifying the car for install. Car looks stock. 3rd brake light is the license plate frame.
R/L side has a roll of clear led's. When brake is applied, the led's light up red.
Please, no need to debate it's not high enough. It can be seen 2 cars back. If you're closer than that, you're tailgating.
I've modified the reflectors to work as brake and turn.
End result is simply more red lights when I break.

View attachment 37790View attachment 37791

Click on one of the photos.
Then click on prev-first or last-next to see the difference.