• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 1959 TR3 is alive!

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful
After several setbacks waiting for radiator parts, my son and I finally got it installed yesterday. This was the last component needed in order to try and start the car we have been working on for the past year. With the radiator in, we did fluids, using the good Valvoline racing oil and proper mixture of coolant and water in the radiator. No leaks!

Added a gallon of gas and checked for fuel line leaks. No leaks!

OK, we've put it off enough, time to try and fire this puppy up. Used the lever on the fuel pump to pump gas up to the carbs - no problem. Turned the ignition on and hit the starter. Starter grinds slowly (1 rev/sec or less), but what do we know about how fast a TR3 starter should go? Nothing. Suggested we try a spritz of starting fluid in the carbs. That got us one piston fire and then nothing. Son smelled hot wires so we unhooked everything and discovered the starter was very hot.

OK, time to remove the starter and see what we can see. Removing that bomb-type starter is a real pain as it won't go out from under the car (exhaust in the way), so we had to disconnect the throttle linkage and choke cable and fuel line and bring it out the top between the carbs. Starter seemed to turn OK manually so took it over the bench and took it apart. Examined the brushes and discovered a broken spring. OK, that could explain the lack of oomph when starting and hot wires. Had an old generator spring left over from when I did PM on the generator and used some needlenose to slightly rework it to apply about the same amount of pressure as the other springs seemed to exert. Reassembled the starter, which is a whole lot of fun since you have to push back four brushes while inserting the armature, etc (hint - you can pull them back enough and use a small metal rod hooked user the brush connecting wire on each one to hold them out of the way, slide in the armature, then remove the rods).

Put the starter back in the car and reconnected all the linkages, cables, fuel lines, and repumped the carbs back to readiness. Ignition on and hit the starter switch. Holy crap! What a difference a small brush can make - starter spun that engine over quite handily, thank you very much. Difference was like night and day. Spun like a modern car.

We had previously set the timing manually using the test light technique to 6 degrees BTDC so were confident that this was OK. Points and plugs were brand new. New stock coil hooked up correctly. Carbs were completely rebuilt. Engine completely rebuilt. Fluids OK. Has gas.

It didn't have a choice. It was all out of excuses. It had to start.

So it did :smile:

Second time we hit the starter switch it fired right up. Purred nicely at 1500, ran ragged below that. Sounded incredible. Meanwhile the basement is filling up with exhaust fumes, so we called at halt to the proceedings after a minute and opened all the doors to get some air circulation. My incredibly talented son had done all the carb and engine work and I sort of got the impression that he was a bit shocked when it ran.

Will try and find a cheap 2-inch diameter 50 foot length of pool or vacuum hose so we can vent the exhaust to outside before next week, when we will concentrate on tuning the carbs and timing, etc, and will start to bolt on the doors, fenders, windshield, and other stuff in the coming weeks. I'm now predicting about mid March for the first test drive (we work on the car on Saturdays only).

We took a bunch of pictures and I'm sure my son will be posting some here.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Way to go!!! :driving:

There's no feeling like hearing that TRactor motor fire up after a long slumber.

Congratulations on a job well done. :cheers:

PeterK

Yoda
Don't forget the CO detector in your basement. But how will you drive it up the stairs? :crazy:

Nice job Landrum family!

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Congratulations to you both!

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
Lovely story. Lovely ending.

One can pull those brushes part-way back into the their brackets, then cock the spring against the side of the brush to hold it. After starting to insert the armature, one can then reach the back of each brush with a screw driver or some such object, pushing each home and freeing the spring. But your improvisation obviously worked as well.

Any time you can start a car after an idle year it seems miraculous. Certainly more so if you taken apart almost every key component and reassembled the whole.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Well done Craig and Co. It is a scary moment starting an engine on a car when everything has been rebuilt like that. You did better than me. Mine started up fine because I had a reconditioned starter, but water poured out of the thermostat housing as the gasket hadn't seated properly.
Still, that was a quick fix.
You are certainly making good progress with your car.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hurrah!

I just went through all that last fall. What a rush to hear that motor! You guys are fast -- of course, there's two of you. I had to do it all myself. Took most of three years (NOT working on it full time).

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Congrats! Now, where's those pictures..?

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Very Sweeeeeeet!

rlandrum

Jedi Trainee
I was dreading this day. After everything we've done, and re-done because we did it wrong the first time, I was worried that we'd have some issue getting it running.

The only issue we had was a small oil leak. Turns out that bolt hole in the rear of the head goes into an oil passage, and without a bolt in there, we ended up with a small pool of oil after our short run.

Here it is, all put together...

00003.jpg

00002.jpg

The rest...

https://xjguy.com/triumph/2009feb2/800x600/

V

vagt6

Really nice, guy, you'll be proud of that job for a long time.

Nothing like driving a TR2/3, boy are you gonna have fun!

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My first TR was a 59 3A. Contratulations on bringing it back to life. Enjoy touring in your "new" car! Cheers, Mike

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This might been answered when they joined ,not so long ago. But who gets to keep it?

rlandrum

Jedi Trainee
DNK said:
This might been answered when they joined ,not so long ago. But who gets to keep it?

Officially, it was given to my Father on Christmas 2007. He's made it clear that he plans to keep it so long as he lives and that I'd be the heir. But anytime he asks me what I think, I always tell him it's "your car." :smile:

emmett1010

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Man: thats no deal.
By the time you get it, it'll need restoring again.
But then: you'll know how to do it!
I'm really planning to run the wheels off mine, and I'm sure Craig feels the same.
Nice job guys-real nice job
Emmett

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Terrific job and nice neat work. Keep the pics coming as you get it closer to being completed. I love TR3's and watching one go back together is fun.

OP
CraigLandrum

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful
The car is registered in both our names, and I certainly consider him to be co-owner. It will likely be garaged at my place most often though, since his is currently filled up with his next project - a Camaro muscle car for which he already has a fully rebuilt engine that he has been waiting 13 months to install. He interrupted his Camaro project to help with the TR3 - both with money, tools, and time. Now you see why I think he's a saint:smile:

I expect he'll get as much driving time in it as I will.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I can see it now.
"Hey dad,can I borrow the 3?"