• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series 1953 TD Up-date

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
1953 TD Update

As promised...here's the 'naked truth'...all the factory lacquer has been sanded off at this point - NO RUST OR BODY DAMAGE ANYWHERE!!!...next is chemical stripping (to ensure all the old paint/primer is gone) followed by metal etching/priming...then we reassemble everything to check fit...then we disassemble...then frame gets new shiny black paint & engine gets new proper red paint....& then body gets painted disassembled....then we reassemble everything....WHEW!

tdstrip01.JPG

tdstrip02.JPG

tdstrip04.JPG

tdstrip05.JPG

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Re: 1953 TD Update

She looks great! Where did you find such a pristine car? I think I've read the story before, but it's a great one that deserves re-telling.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Around 2000, a friend told me about a little TD he had heard was languishing in a garage in a nearby town. Apparently, the car had been the object of an "on again-off again" restoration over the last 20 or so years since its original owner had retired & stopped driving it to work every day. But, when I drove over & met the owner, he politely refused my interest in buying it or in even letting me to look at it.

Then one day several months later--out of the blue--he left a message on my answering machine. I had almost forgotten about the little car but talking with him refreshed my memory. So, we set up an appointment for me to go over & see it.

When I got to his house, I found a car that had its drive train & suspension completely rebuilt (0 miles on them) - I mean the tires still have their little whiskers on them!! It has a new leather interior, the dash, instruments & steering wheel reworked, & all wood in the body professionally replaced during the "body off" restoration that left the original black lacquer paint practically undamaged but ready for a new spray (he even had buckets of OE black lacquer paint - as if I could find anybody to spray it). The doors, fenders & running boards were off the car & ready for paint, & the new windshield, new top & top bows were ready for installation. There was also a complete set of Whitworth tools & manuals, boxes & boxes of pieces & parts, & a guy who had checked me out with his friends & acquaintenances to see if I was a "proper caretaker" for the little car.

The only problem was - the car was in the attic over his garage!! In pieces!! It took me & 4 brawny football players all day to build a ramp & pulley system to get the car down to the concrete...then we had to retrieve all the body panels & interior pieces plus boxes & boxes of parts. I mean, the interior panels are still in the plastic bag that Moss used to ship them in the 80's!

Over the years since I bought it, I've inventoried the boxes & found NOS Lucas mirrors, wiper motor, heater, bumpers & overriders, driving lights, tail light plinths, front parking lights, & more miscellaneous NOS parts than I can list; plus, I probably have almost another TD in used & new parts that he'd acquired (i.e., 5 extra wheels, extra gas tank - the one on the car is new - extra heater, wiper motor, small body panels, etc). The guy was like Jack Laird: he replaced everything!

Over the years, I've also rounded up every nut, bolt, washer, etc to put it back together - new - thanks to my friends at Moss....they went through the catalog & made me a kit of every piece of hardware I think I'll need. All I needed was to find a body man in whom I could entrust it. After I saw the work my guy did, I let him redo the clear coat on my 380SL....then, he redid Jerri's VW & Jack's Bugeye & I was ready to give it to him &, man, am I happy!

We researched original paint codes until we found a color Jerri liked...I mean, we painted all these little pieces of metal with different OE TD colors until she said "that's it!"....then, we're having the color mixed in modern base coat/clear coat...the individual body panels were striped, metal etched & then primed in white epoxy paint - this thing will NEVER rust - before even thinking about spraying the final color!! & every panel has been lovingly gone over to ensure they are perfectly straight & smooth...she's probably better than she was when she left Abingdon!

It'll look like the one in the photo below when its finished in a few weeks (hopefully by the end of the summer) except no luggage rack or mirrors on the front fenders (even though I have NOS Lucas ones) & the radiator slats will match the beige interior...we even have the badge bar & driving lights (& the little rectangle mirror for the windshield post - all NOS Lucas!!

...you guys know me, I don't rush a restoration job...every little car of mine has to go through its gestation process in its own fashion; this one has just been going a little longer than most.......however, when I die in 30 or so years, my grandson will become the 3rd owner of a brand new 1953 MG TD!:

Picture1.jpg

ccougill

Jedi Warrior

speaking of long restorations, is this the summer Jerri gets to drive her GT?

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]speaking of long restorations, is this the summer Jerri gets to drive her GT? [/QUOTE]

hehehehehe...probably not - but she'll get to drive the Jag I just bought!

Steve_S

Yoda

Tony, if you decide to sell any of those NOS parts please let me know. I need a set of those mirrors and the bumpers might really help me out on the Y-Type, if they are the same vintage. Send me a list if you decide to liquidate! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Bumpers I'll use...the round mirrors for the front fenders I'm not planning on using - however, I'll wait until the car is finished to make a final decision....I'm also not planning on installing the NOS heater - why do I even want one?

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I've never seen white & blue seats in a TD before.[/QUOTE]

hehehehehe...it has NOS brass (or bronze - whichever) door hinges, all the tiny pieces & the brackets that have to be painted, the headlights & their brackets - all the little stuff we took off to strip & paint separately...I mean, we're painting everything off the car & then assemblying...

But, I am thinking about just putting clear coat on those hnges....they're so pretty!

Steve_S

Yoda

I doubt you'd need the heater in AL unless you plan on taking trips to colder climates. Besides, lots of engine heat will find its way into the cockpit, and a jacket will do more good than a heater in a T-Series car anyway. There have been times when I wished I had one in the TC. Driving up PCH through Crescent City for 6 hours in the fog with the top down comes to mind. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

I'll probably put the NOS heater on the shelf just in case & sell the used one that he took out of the car.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

LOL, the tub is one of Tonys famous used part storage bins. He has a building with shelves and bins in them all labled and stuff running out on the floors even. You know what he says, parts is parts.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

If you have some old used tatered parts I'd take those. I am not restoring mine but need a few original bits to finish mine off. Drop me a PM if you do.

Your body lokks like it's in good shape. Hows the wood?

GB1

Yoda
Country flag

Tony

That looks great, please explain why you have not done a frame off restoration?

I have been pondering this quandry on my LBC and am thinking about going the same route as you have.

Thanks,
Patrick

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Also noticed that bit about the heater. Could use one of those in NY. PM me about that as well if you could.
Vince

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]That looks great, please explain why you have not done a frame off restoration?[/QUOTE]

The original owner had the tub off the frame when they replaced all the wood - at that time, they redid everything on the frame/suspension to include new black paint on frame (even a new wiring harness)...underneath, its brand new...so all we have to do is touch up the places on the frame where its gotten nicked over the years....if you go back a couple of post to my story about the car, you'll see it was totally disassembled by the PO but never finished.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Vince - I'm gonna hold onto everything until the car is finished as I might change my mind along the way....but, I'll contact you about the original heater since it would not be used anyway - I'd use the NOS one were I to use any.