• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Important, documented, 1953 DHMC modified 100 Le Mans for sale

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Finally we have a fully documented dealer modified Le Mans car for sale. And modified by Healeys of Warwick for a well known customer no less. The seller seems a little confused about the date of introduction of the Le Mans Modifications but what is interesting is that he has photos of the car in 1954 with a louvred bonnet. Reid, you should refit your bonnet I think! See it here https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C392762

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
Those early pictures are wonderful. I really like that grill cover, must be cold out there. But I can't see any louvers in the early pictures. The later pictures have louvers with a much different pattern than the 100M louvers. The two-tone break is the straight line type rather than the curved one. Wonder if it was painted this way originally. I thought none of the early cars were two tone from the factory but don't know for sure.

RandyHicks

Where is "a fully documented dealer modified Le Mans car"? Pictures of a louvered bonnet that is a different pattern than any Healey I've seen?

I've had a couple emails back and forth with Mike Abbas regarding this car. This BN1 has a very late BN2 motor in it now and the original motor no longer exists. So there is nothing left of the "Le Mans Engine Modification Kit" of which a louvered bonnet was not part of.

There is no written documentation as to the Le Mans upgrade work being done by DHMC or a dealer. Just "photographic evidence" of a louvered bonnet.

Not enough to make me pay big money!!!! Do your homework!

OP
DerekJ

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Randy, Were I interested in buying the car, which I'm not, I would certainly do my homework. I took the ad at face value. I have never dealt with Abbas but they have been around for a long time and it would seem unlikely that they have made up a story about Lemans modifications but who knows. As I have said before, there is way to much hype surrounding 100Ms and 100 Lemans. They are just 100s with a few bolt on parts.

Country flag
... They are just 100s with a few bolt on parts.

Just 100s--the Ms anyway--with a few bolt on parts that were worked-on by Healey mechanics in the Healey factory and may have been in the building at the same time as DMH himself. Heck, DMH might have even touched the car (I like to think DMH personally oversaw the modification of our 100M; hey, no one can prove otherwise). In the closing moments of the 'The Car's the Star' video it was rather pointedly stated that Donald never received the recognition he deserved for the revenue (and prestige) his cars brought to GB (only belatedly receiving his C.B.E.). It was 'the Americans' who appreciated him and his cars the most. I'd argue that sentiment persists until this day.

Also, cams and pistons aren't generally considered 'bolt on.'

As an aside, I'm nearing the end of a 3K+ mile cross country trip in my BJ8. The car has always attracted attention, but this year is extraordinary. We have been photographed at least--where we've spotted the shooter--a half-dozen times. A couple dozen people have complimented the car--though it's getting a bit ragged--and many have approached us to ask about it. Yesterday, I took a photo for a Chinese national who wanted a shot of him standing by the car (doubt he knew what it is).

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This BN1 has a very late BN2 motor in it now and the original motor no longer exists. So there is nothing left of the "Le Mans Engine Modification Kit" of which a louvered bonnet was not part of.

There is no written documentation as to the Le Mans upgrade work being done by DHMC or a dealer. Just "photographic evidence" of a louvered bonnet.

Proving that a used car salesman, even a classic used car salesman, is still a used car salesman. I would think mentioning in the ad that the motor with the LeMans bits was no longer with the car would be kind of important to a prospective purchaser. So basically, it might of used to be a LeMans "prototype". As it sits now, it's not an "M" and it isn't a LeMans, either. Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed the period pictures and its connection to Ian Walker probably has some value although I think I would prefer to have Walker's Sprinzel Sprite WJB 707 if I was spending money I don't have:

fa4phy.jpg

2wg6erl.jpg

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Finally we have a fully documented dealer modified Le Mans car for sale. And modified by Healeys of Warwick for a well known customer no less. The seller seems a little confused about the date of introduction of the Le Mans Modifications but what is interesting is that he has photos of the car in 1954 with a louvred bonnet. Reid, you should refit your bonnet I think! See it here https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C392762

I think what we really have here is a dealer who is as confused on the subject as many - maybe most - Healey owners are. The seller/dealer states, "ANOTHER INTERESTING POINT AND WE OURSELVES ASK THE QUESTION - IF THE 100 LE MANS MODEL PRODUCTION START DATE WAS SEPTEMBER 1955, HOW IS IT IAN WALKERS AUSTIN HEALEY 100/4 BN1 CARRIED THE 100 LE MANS FEATURES IN 1954 ONWARDS IN VARIOUS HISTORIC EVENTS? COULD IAN WALKERS NWB 394 BE AN EARLY "PROTOTYPE" LE MANS BN1?"

The 100M started production in September 1955. The Le Mans Engine Modification kit was available much earlier (late 1953? and certainly by early 1954) and fitting the kit does not make a Healey a 100M (if I only had a farthing for every time I've said or written that).

The louvered bonnet was not part of the kit. The kit was composed of engine mods only. That's why it was named the "Le Mans Engine Modification kit." If this car was returned to the Donald Healey Motor Company for fitting of the kit and they also louvered the bonnet at the same time, fine, so it's a car with the kit and a louvered bonnet. I have one of those. It's not a 100M (it's the blue/white car in my signature photo).

But now we learn that this car no longer has its original engine, so that means that its original Le Mans mods are either missing or now fitted to the present, replacement engine. A "fully documented dealer modified Le Mans car"? Well, no. Perhaps what they meant to say was, "We have photos showing work being carried out on this car at the Donald Healey Motor Company. Unfortunately, the Le Mans-modified engine that we believe was part of the work done then is no longer with the car."

So what now remains is a standard BN1 except for the later BN2 engine and the bonnet with a unique louver pattern never seen on any other Healey. Next.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As a 100 owner I agree with Derek, the 100M & Le Mans modified cars are getting a wee bit over hyped. Is it because of the rarity and high value of the 100S?
If this is indeed the ex Ian Walker car then that is where the value lies. Pictures of this car appear often in Healey books.
The dealer's comments about the dates of introduction of the Le Mans mods show that he needs to do more research on the Austin-Healey 100. The comment about the alloy boot lid shows some ignorance. All Austin-Healeys had an alloy bonnet & boot until well into 1954.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
With all this talk about 100M's, I have to cheer the owners that truly use their's as DMH intended. Larry Paterson, from Calgary races his '55 (factory) 100M with anger regular with me here in the Pacific Northwest. We're at the Spokane Festival of Speed this weekend represent the marque against Europe's best....

Attachments

• Spokane Pits.jpg
    Spokane Pits.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 121