• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1947 Norton Fired up for 1st time

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Hi
This is my 1947 Norton Model 18 500cc single. I bought a bunch of parts that someone called a bike and have been rebuilding it to be as close to original as I can make it. It's been 3 years so far.
I rebuilt the engine from several different source's, fella from New York on ebay and Mark Upham' British Only in Austria, the NOC in the UK and Peter's Classic Bike in Amsterdam, Cornucopia in Germany. Most of these places I have visited and rummage through bunches of stuff, finding a bit here and a bit there. Lucky for me my work takes me to these locations and I can stop by once the work project is over.
The gearbox is all rebuilt with new bearings and some improvements from MacIntosh Racing in New Zealand.
It fired up on the 3rd kick and seems to run smooth. I was worried as I rebalanced the crank based on reading Tuning for Speed by Phil Irving. Never done that type of work before.
Anyway now to work with the painter to get all the black parts painted.
Oh the petrol tank and oil tank are rechomed and painted per Norton offerings at the time. The tank came from the UK and I got it and fenders for a old Norton race gearbox I got in some parts I bought. It appeared to be from a Daytonna race bike and was a close ratio box not much good for the street.
Nuff for now. Heres a photo and a link to more. All the folders are open, there's a photo of my Commando, and other stuff.
Possiblerightside.jpg

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
That's a beauty. It must have felt great to have it fire up!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice bike! Sounds like quite the project you've got going on there.

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Tony
That is a stock chrome carrier but a custom seat. I have a stock one also for showing, but for riding they aren't the best. The custom seat was made here locally by Rich's Seats in Seattle.
It has gel pads and great foam. He fits the seat to you and your passenger with a fitting session. Pretty cool. Makes long rides much easier.
Thanks for the compliments.
You have a nice stash of cars!!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks about the cars...wonder why mine won't fit on my stock seat?

OP
N

Norton47

Jedi Warrior
Tony
As I am on vacation, waiting on my daughters to get hair and makeup done, and working from memory, I have these thoughts.
The chrome bars fit to the outside or on top of the frame loop for the seat. There are 4 plastic coated clamps that attach it to the frame loop. Does the chrome bar seem to fit to the frame loop?
Here's a good photo, looks like Fred has made is website even better.
https://www.oldbritts.com/ob_start.html
Go to chapter 26 and look at the photo at the top.
Hope this helps

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Didn't see a "Chapter 26"....