• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Long Terms?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
OK, I need some updates on the long term projects...like Dave, JP, Tinman, TK...

Wazup with all you guys??

John

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
John
I just welded in bracing so now the doors are ready for removal. Last Saturday I drove up to Sacramento to a stripping co. that Pat Galvin recommended.I am thinking in two weeks it the 250 will be at there shop. The new parts are starting to fill up the storage area's in the garage. We are shooting for April for completion.

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
John,
I have just procurred the temP storage location for the body. I need to unbolt it from the frame and take it to storage. That will happen in 2 weeks. I have the rebuild kit for the front end and most of the braKe parts, except lines...can I reuse those or is it best to replace...?? Then I have decided to powder coat the frame...found a place that was pretty reasonable...so once it is seperated and tore down....off it goes.
That is it for now.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Been busy driving the TR6 and planning a couple of large events that just finished last weekend. I did get out in the garage last night and moved some stuff around and cleaned a little bit. Moved the TR250 to its outdoor parking spot beside the house and covered it for an extended period...also removed the battery as I don't think that it will be back inside until the Spring.

I have all the panels back on the car checking for fit again. I am just starting to do body work on all the wings to see if I can get the fit a little better. I was hoping to have it painted before the fall here but that isn't going to happen....so, I will work away over the fall/winter getting the body as good as I can in order to paint it in the early Spring.

I WILL have it on the road next summer!

I should have some updates in the next little while and I will be sure to post them.

Cheers,
Dave

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
My long term project is progressing according to plan. I completed my 3-year full body-off restoration in 1990 and have been driving it for the past 22 years in excellent condition. During this time, I have driven my 1958 TR3A named "TRusty" more than 110,000 miles

Just last weekend, I drove from Montreal to the Toronto area to attend the Toronto Triumph Club's British Car Day with about 1000 to 1200 antique British cars on the showfield. The total mileage for my weekend was 937 miles.

I was awarded third in the sidescreen class.

This is my plan - and I hope to drive it for another 54 years.

Don Elliott, Original Owner

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the updates guys. Even though I don't always comment, I really follow your progress with anticipation and I know I'm not the only one! Nothing sweeter than bringing an old car back to beauty...Like your's Don (by the way, must have been rigged if you didn't get 1st!).

Dan, be sure to post some pics after the stripping. Stripping provides the last of the surprises, so you can finally see the end...great time!

JP, now that I have the sewing machine, I'd be glad to cover the screens, if you get them all painted and ready to go. I don't think you'll have any trouble with the carbs...fun winter project on a cold day. Just throw a clean towel on the kitchen table and get them knocked out! The powder coating will be nice. I used about 90% of my steel lines in the rebuild. They were not rusted, and the coat of grease protected them. A couple did have to be replaced...more because the PO had hack sawed them than because they were corroded. So, I guess the answer to whether to re-use depends on what you see as you look them over. I cleaned them inside and out, and coated them with clear laquer. I can say I liked the quality of the originals better than the repo's...but no surprise there...

Dave, I hear 'ya on the driving. Gotta get it in before the snow hits in a few weeks. Look forward to the updates when it does and you get back to work!

Now we have to hear from the Houston crews...

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
John,
When I get down to the frame I will have a few photos to show the micro garage setup. It will have to do for now....I have expressed the desire, with the other half, to find a tad bigger house with a slightly larger garage....no movement yet.

Thanks for the info on the lines....what did you use to flush them out with??

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Bigger Garage...cool!! Hope you can sell it to her!

Depending on what I had most of on hand, I used brake cleaner or carb cleaner. With either one, you have to spend a LOT of time blowing the brake tubes out and hang them vertical for a few days to ensure absolutely all the cleaner either drips or evaporates out. You can't leave any trace of cleaner in the brake lines. It is important with the fuel lines, but not fatal!?!

Look forward t the photos...

John

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Once again, the forum has gone slow...so where are the long term project updates? Com'on guys, you know I'm between projects and need updates...David, Tush, Steve, Pat, JP...?

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Four and a half years in, and I just finished the TR6 interior.

https://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6 TOC.html

Ed

DSC04371a.JPG

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have been working out of town for the last few weeks. Takes up valuable TR time but it does help with the bills.

I did get the body flipped over so I could sand blast the few remaining bits of the body and got POR15 on the bare metal before I left. The next step will be primer then finish paint on the remainder of the under side. I will probable set the body up on saw horses or blocks so I can paint the engine bay.
At that point I think the body can go back on the frame for keeps. I hope. Have a new mounting kit on hand.

Took the opportunity to take the throttle linkage apart and replace the nylon bushings while it was accessible.

Before I left I had revisited the water pump prompted by a friends pump failure. Glad I did as I think the new pump is a much better fit to the pulley. Trying to decide on the best way to reduce the water flow through the bypass. I think I read that I should have a 1/4" hole open in the bypass if I have a regular thermostat. I have a skirted one that I got off E bay that appears to work but I think I will try the restriction first.

The trim is moving along slowly. Maybe I need to Fed Ex the seats to John as he is between projects.

David

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
While not necessarily a long term project, since since I bought the car last fall, I have been busy working over the winter with mostly replacement work. Here's some of things I've done since Christmas: Carburetors rebuilt (Joe Curto), carburetor linkage replaced; distributor rebuilt (Advance Distributor); brake and clutch/slave cylinders rebuilt (Apple Hydraulics); water pump rebuilt (Flying Dutchman); new tires (Michelin with Firestone spare); new 48 spoke wire wheels and hubs (Hendrix Wheel); radiator rebuilt (Orr Radiator); Hurricane fan added; flexible fuel hoses replaced (Burlen); flexible brake lines replaced; front calipers rebuilt (TRF); rear wheel cylinders replaced; old fluids drained and replaced; cooling system hoses replaced; seat rails refurbished; head/side light wiring replaced; overdrive wiring replaced; sidecurtain sliding windows replaced; trunk seals replaced; interior rubber parts replaced; most body holes plugged; various under-bonnet items refurbished/painted; various bolts/screws replaced or corrosion-proofed; top, sidecurtains, and tonneau cleaned; hoodstick cover added.

Remaining items are to bleed the hydraulics (I've also installed "Speed Bleeders") and then a tune-up with the "new" distributor and carbs. I'm anxious to get it on the road since the weather here in KC has finally turned nice.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
8A672213-2765-48B6-B516-F7C7C857833E.jpg

This is probably fits the long term project category. It was started about 10 years ago by Larry (SCguy) in California. He sold it to a friend in Texas, then after sitting some more after I bought it, I got it on the road a couple of months ago. Larry did a nice job but he was dealt with some bad cards - I’ve since done a full drivetrain rebuild and it’s doing what it was meant to do - provide some fun on the roads.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for asking John, I am still working on the body. I put a couple of coats of primmer on the front fenders and have been sanding with some 220 and 400 to get everything smooth. I kinda did 4 fenders because I was not happy with most of what I have to work with, but now I committed to 2. The weather actually just starting warming up, so GW I will be putting some color on soon.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the updates!

Ed, that interior is beautiful. I've only worked with the early cars, and always thought Triumphs are "a little rough" interior wise. Your's is on-par with any Jaguar I have seen!

David, remounting the body the final time is always exciting. Hope the job gives you some time to get it done soon!

Keith...you've definitely moved into the "long term" category. I like the shops you are using for the rebuilds...they are all about the best there is in our little circle, so I know it will come out a great driving car.

Randy, very glad the floods didn't get to you last year...your new Triumph is gorgeous! You can't go wrong with red and black for a sports car, and that one looks like a lot of love and care went into it.

Steve, wish I could be there for the painting. It's the most stressful part of a restoration, because it's where all the work you've done comes together for once last hurrah. I know you'll get through it soon and be working on the interior in no time. Sometimes I feel guilty because I convinced you to push farther than you would have otherwise...but the car will be worth the time in the end.

Thanks again for my "fix" on the projects!

JP...where are you??

PeterK

Yoda
My wife and I bought our first Triumph in 1996, a 1966 TR4A. We had been looking for a car to autocross a 16V Sirocco and found this Triumph in parts, all in boxes. So we bought it instead. I completed the 4A chassis in 2009, most if not all the bolt on parts, steering column, heater, etc are restored and waiting.

What got me down was 3 things 1) Bodywork which is still the hold-up although maybe I can get the fenders finished this year or find a way to farm it out somewhere 2) Time - although I am retired I am now a caregiver for my mother who has suffered 4 strokes. So my free time is sparse. 3) Life always gets in the way and death - I lost my wife in 2014 after 2 breast cancers 12 years apart followed by stage 4 Melanoma for another 4 tortuous years. I was her caregiver throughout. My dream is that I don't become one of those guys that don't get to drive my project. I have my wife's TR3A to enjoy but this 4A needs finishing. The car had been off the road since the 80s and still has the old sticker on the windshield. This dpo has owned it for nearly 22 years and never even heard it run. I'm saving the engine assembly until I get closer to done. So there. Another one.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well, not much progress to report on my current TR250 Project. Been travelling for business too much and have been away from home lately...doesn't seem like the travel is going to let up anytime soon...
I do have a 1 week window that opened up in my schedule so I decided to take advantage and book a weeks vacation. So, I hope to accomplish quite a bit then. My next step is to take the body tub to be media blasted. I'm trying to do that next weekend. I will then fix any areas that I missed before putting the tub into epoxy primer.

I do have something exciting being delivered tomorrow for this project. I'll update when it arrives :cool:

Cheers
Tush

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Tush

I was advised to use POR15 on the underside of the tub. It seems to harden like epoxy resin even though it is not a 2 part mix. Then primes on that. Nasty stuff if you get it on you.

David