• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ordered a new Norton Commando 961 SE

cbrvfr

This has been quite a year, I've acquired a couple of British icons that I thought would never be within my reach - My '57 Healey 100-6, and (when EPA approves and the bikes get assembled back at Donington...) a new Norton. If you haven't seen this bike, check out www.nortonmotorcycles.com Ohlins suspension, carbon fiber wheels, Brembo brakes, and a nicely done modern recreation.

I am totally jazzed. Thought I'd share among people that will understand.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Most excellent! :thumbsup:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Norton, Top quality machine! Always has been. Good luck with it and enjoy the ride! In my book, you couldn't have made a better choice. PJ

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fantastic! We'll need plenty of pictures when it comes through. I wish the new Norton group all the best -- resurrecting an old marque is a difficult business.

Lucky Man! Nice choice.<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Would it be to rude to ask what one goes for?</span>

m

Never mind... i just saw the price.. :crazyeyes: :crazyeyes:

V

vagt6

Cool bike, with the Brembo brakes it will have no problem stopping. Ohlins suspension, chain drive, nice retro looks.

Today's exchange rate is $1.60, the cafe racer is GBP 12,545 = $22,392 USD + shipping, etc. Not a bad price, really. Heck, a new BMW bike can cost much more. The listed price also includes VAT, which we wouldn't pay. Might be awhile before it can clear customs, EPA regs, etc.

VEry nice bike, seems well-made. A collector item, it should be easy to sell. I wonder how many they're making?

For me, I'd rather buy a vintage Commando or even an Atlas and mod it. Less money . . . :yesnod:

OP
cbrvfr

cbrvfr

Yeah, about that price....

I grew up in LA and have been familiar with that dealership for many years, Matt Capri at South Bay Triumph is a well known and well respected character. I was visiting there from gloomy, cold Michigan last week and thought I would stop by and check out the non-running models to see how they felt. I never thought there would be any left available out of the first 50. I was also confident that the dealer would be getting a premium for these first bikes. The SE model, which is the one they're bringing in to begin with costs <span style="font-weight: bold">15,995 pounds in Britain including VAT, which is the equivalent of US $25,566</span> today. I figured they'd want about 30K.

I was quite surprised to find the following:

First, the bike has handlebars instead of clipons, and is light enough (about 400 lbs dry) and narrow enough at the knees to make the seat height problem ( I'm inseam challenged) negligible. It was actually pretty comfortable, and of course, gorgeous.

Second, there were three bikes left which had not been claimed with a deposit.

Third, The price is exactly what it says on the US website at www.southbaynorton.com - <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]<span style="font-weight: bold">The price for the Norton Commando 961 SE in the United States is $17,899 (wire wheels) and $19,499 (carbon fibre wheels)</span>[/QUOTE]

Fourth, my wife thought it was 'cool'.

How could I resist?

When the brand is fully established, they intend to only produce 3000 bikes per year. They just hired Pierre Terblanche (Ducati Hypermotard and the retro reissue models, as well as the controversial early MultiStrada and 999/798 superbikes)to design the next generation.

WaltCasten

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
VERY nice! It's a lot of dough but there are some great components there, a definite step up from the Triumph Thruxton in many areas.

I'm sure it will be much more real world rideable than any modded vintage bike.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
My father (who was on the design team for the original Norton Commando) has sent the company an e-mail, wishing them success. He likes the look of the new machine..... :thumbsup:

OP
cbrvfr

cbrvfr

Resurrected thread - 20 months later, the bikes were finally EPA and Carb approved today! Hoping for delivery before Spring 2013 - I want to ride it home from LA to Michigan.

In the meantime, my Speed Triple gets me by!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Woohoo! We'll keep fingers crossed here. :cheers:

PSJ

OMG! Nice! I was not previously aware that these were being produced; and I'm glad to see that they passed certification.

When I was a kid, I worked at a motorcycle shop. My two older brothers raced (at Seattle International Raceway (SIR) and other local tracks). The shop also supported other local racers. When I was 14, one of the other racers offered to let me ride his Dunstall Norton at SIR. I was happy, terrified, and exhilarated; and it made a memory for a lifetime. I've always wanted one since, and this looks very comparable.

I hope it brings you as much happiness and fun as I’m imagining!

Phil

EricG

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
That is a beautiful bike and at a good price! I wonder how the power and handling compares to the original? Have you ever ridden an older Norton? They are wonderful bikes of the era-the Isolastic engine mounting system worked well. Please keep us posted as to how it rides! Eric