• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake master

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
Hello,
My brake master cylinder is leaking. After spending the night in the garage with my dad we figured out that the fluid is leaking through the brake master, going to the servo unit and leaking onto the car from there. After taking the master off there was a puddle of fluid inside the servo? Does this all make sense? I sure hope so. I talked to some guys in my car club about this and they said that I should get the master resleaved. Another triumph guy my dad talked to said that he has never had to have his master resleaved. What do you think I should do? I have two master cylinders. The one from the car you can tell one spot on there that is pitted. On a spare I have it has kind of a ridge thing going on inside. It goes around inside all the way around and it is about 1/2 inches in. So I'm looking for some advice and help. So please help me out. Thank you people out there that are awesome.
Eric

Bob Buxbaum

Jedi Hopeful
In my experience with completely rebuilding a TR8 and a GT6 I found that parts like that are not too expensive. Don't mess with pitted or grooved master cylinders. Just buy a new one from one of the many vendors that have them. I am assuming that your particular m/c is still avaiable. You didn't mention what model it is.

G

Rebuild kits for master cylinders are available, not pricey and relatively easy to install. It is very common for TR6 to need a bebuild on these units. New master cylinders (as well as servos, clutch master and slave) are available, original (Girling) and expensive.
You need to stop more than you need to go.

Bill

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
When I rebuilt my master cylinder for my TR7, I had it honed out to get rid of the rust. The rebuild kit I got from NAPPA Auto parts did not fit tightly enough, and still leaked past to the servo. My mechanic sent away to British Leyland and got a rebuild kit that fit just perfectly.
I also learned with my new servo, you have to make sure the plunger is at the correct length.. or you are fighting a loosing battle with everything. Not sure of the setup with the TR6, but just my two cents worth.
Paul

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
71TR6 TR2/3/3A Aftermarket brake and clutch master cylinders - black extension? Triumph 6
Racer-X- Frame mounted power brake pedal/booster/master cylinder kits for RHD cars? Restoration & Tools 1
prb51 100-6 Brake Master Cylinder Bore Austin Healey 5
bighealeysource Brake Master Cylinder Austin Healey 27
A Brake Master Cylinder Freeplay Austin Healey 11
volunteer Wanted: Brake Master Cyl. Repair Kit for Daimler DS420 Other British Cars 18
rgfrey Bench Bleeding Brake Master Cylinder Austin Healey 2
K TR2/3/3A Clutch and Brake Master Cylinder push rod stop bolts? Triumph 15
mctriumph master cylinder brake/clutch Tr3 Triumph Classifieds 9
mrv8q TR2/3/3A Brake master cylinder: rebuild or replace? Triumph 9
J For Sale Triumph TR 2/3 original brake/clutch master cylinder Triumph Classifieds 2
BobHaskell MGB 1980 MGB harness question - brake servo/master cylinder MG 1
D BJ8 brake master cylinder question Austin Healey 6
D TR2/3/3A Brake Master Cylinder. Triumph 4
Michael Oritt Brake Master Cylinder access Austin Healey 0
glemon General Tech Follow up on Master Cylinder and Brake Fluid Triumph 11
Jim_Gruber What is the correct tool for removing brake lines from a BE Master Cylinder Spridgets 10
R brake master missing seal Austin Healey 11
vickxxx T-Series Brake master adaptor MG 2
M TR6 Brake master cylinder question. Triumph 2
F Replacing brake master cylinder, fluid reservoir and flexible brake pipes - order? Austin Healey 4
T TR2/3/3A Girling Brake/Clutch Master Cylinder [slant port] Variations? Triumph 6
T TR2/3/3A another brake master cylinder question Triumph 16
M_Pied_Lourd TR2/3/3A Brake and Clutch Master Pushrod Question Triumph 4
T TR2/3/3A Aftermarket brake master cylinder 1961 TR 3A Triumph 11
S "59" 100-6 brake/ clutch master cylinder upgrade Austin Healey 3
H master cylinder brake vs mc clutch Austin Healey 14
PatGalvin TR2/3/3A Brake Master Cylinder Fluid Reservoir Bracket needed, TR3A Triumph 6
RJS TR4/4A Brake Master Cylinder Cap Options Triumph 11
D MGA Master Brake Cylinder Leak MG 2
nevets question about brake master cylinder Austin Healey 12
Lukens More clutch / brake master cylinder questions. Triumph 7
L Initial Adjustment of Pushrod on BJ8 Brake Master Cylinder Austin Healey 5
mgedit TR2/3/3A Brake Line Master to Banjo Connection LHD 56 TR3 Triumph 4
Jim_Gruber Brake Master from Alternative Sources Spridgets 10
KVH Bleeding the Brake Master Cylinder Triumph 8
J TR6 TR-6 Brake Master Cylinder Seepage Triumph 4
J TR6 TR-6 Brake Master Cylinder-Rebuild or Replace ? Triumph 4
D Brake master cylinder Austin Healey 1
K TR2/3/3A TR3 Brake & Master Cyl "C" clips? Triumph 2