• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT yokahama avid touring, any complaints

bgtrn

Never liked these tires since I got them, 1,000 miles ago, felt soft and a little squirmy, Now I am having problems with front tires drifting in tight turns, even at 30 mph and rear feels like breaking loose, at times. Pressures tried were 32 all around and 28f 39 to 32 rear. Don't feels secure anymore, my sumitomo htr 200s were like glue. Any experiences out there. Suspension is in good shape, even had it inspected by my lbc mechanics. Seems to handle somewhat better at 32 all around, but ride is very harsh. Thanks, Dennis P

OP
B

bgtrn

Been having problems with drifting, front and rear, with new yokohamas. have put on 1000 miles and tendency to drift, front a nd rear is getting worse. have run 32 psi all around and 28f 30 t0 32 rear. more pressure yields harsher ride. sumotomo htr 200s were like glue but 10 years old. any similar experiences??

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yep, I put them on my '92 Miata. First few thousand miles OK but the longer they wore the worse the grip especially in the wet. I would not buy them again. Bob C

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No personal comparator here, as we put Sumi 200's on the B a few years ago and have concluded that's what will go on the Lotus cars next tire change. Yokohamas on other folks' cars seem to exhibit similar tendencies as you describe. Front-end scrub (understeer) on wet roads is the biggest complaint.

OP
B

bgtrn

sumitomo nolonger makes the htr 200 but is manufacturing a tire with identical tread and specs under their doral sdl brand, $35 each. heard it is supposed to be avery grippy tire, like the htr. sorry about the 2 posts, not good with computers.

OP
B

bgtrn

thanks, could not understand why went from bad to worse with more mileage. Sorrry about the double post, not good with computers.

I run Goodyear Assurance on the V8, the '69 MGC, and the '78 MGB. No complaints. I run Pirelli P6000's on the 72 MGB. Again, no complaints. I also had Pirelli's on the '68 MGC....which has gone on to a new home.