Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
The engine was at idle by the time the valve dropped down into the cylinder.
It was around midnight; post thunderstorm; starry sky; top down; about .5 mile from home. This impending seizure gave plenty of advance warning.
There was a light ticking sound such as I had never heard and this had carried on for about the last 3-4 miles from home. I was taking it real easy cause I was nervous.
Depressed the clutch to see what effect that had on the noise-bam! the engine stopped solid. Clutch still in, I shifted to neutral and coasted to within 100 yards of my house. No traffic; didn't have to stop for anything.
My son and I towed the TR up to the garage and pushed it in. Talk about a silver lining in a dark cloud.
This occurred 1 1/2 years ago now and I have everything back together.
Damage? A half moon imprint on the top of the piston and a couple of nicks on the cylinder wall. Radiused away the sharp edges, redid the head, new valves (2) new dual valve springs (12).
2wrench I feel your pain. Fortunately I never had to drop the botton end.
I had quite a collection of those type of things. Never pleasant.
This one I kept... 2300 hours, West Springfield, Mass. On the Turnpike at 65 MPH. First Wife at the helm. Rod bearing spun, seized, rod snapped and shoved itself thru the side of the block. Bad Karma.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] This one I kept... 2300 hours, West Springfield, Mass. On the Turnpike at 65 MPH.[/QUOTE]
Doc,
I know that section of highway well. I made many a trip over that way going to visit a supplier in the Berkshires. Glad I don't have to do it much anymore, especially in the winters.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.