• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

woke up to extra charges on my credit card

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I must have been dreaming last night, I woke up to $18,000 in charges on my credit card and a message that my card was locked. Apparently I took a trip to Atlanta in my sleep and went on a spending spree. That trip sure sounded like fun, I wish I was there.

A new card is being sent to me. I sure wish they could catch these people. I don't like it when people take vacations on my credit.

Jerry

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Had a similar thing happen a few years ago, but not to that extent. The day after wife had used the card at a little trade shop on a local reservation, I got a call from my CU wanting to verify some charges that were occurring out in California. Luckily we got it shut down before more than a few hundred had been charged.

I think these kinds of crimes deserve many years in jail!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have also had odd charges on my card in the past. Apparently I had a heck of a night out on the town in NYC while simultaneously being home in OK.

Country flag
I bet most of us have seen things like that. Couple years ago my card company called me and asked if I was attempting a cash transfer of $30k to central Africa. Nope, so a new card. And last year found my card locked because someone in northern California was trying to pay a hotel bill and get cash, another new card sent. Didn't lose anything with either since they denied the charges as they didn't fit my spending pattern, but still I wonder how they got the code they did.

One reason why I never have my credit info saved on a site I might buy from, can't steal what isn't there.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Must be going around. I got a text from my CC company last week asking if I tried to buy something at a 7-11 in Nevada. I replied "no". Looked at my account online and there were six attempts to buy liquor. Got a new card in a couple of days.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I have also had odd charges on my card in the past. Apparently I had a heck of a night out on the town in NYC while simultaneously being home in OK.

a likely story ...

:angel3:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OTOH have been very very appreciative of my credit card company for catching these things and alerting me - usually before I realize it myself. That said last week I spent 45 minutes on the phone trying to identify a charge which turned out to be the renewal fee for the card itself - the woman could not get it through her head that actually labelling the expense "VISA card annual renewal" might be smarter than just a line item that said 'renewal'. Similarly whenever I get my monthly statement emailed it come as "VISA card alert" - I have tried but they don't want to understand that that might be an unfortunate choice of words. sheesh. :D

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Sadly, we all probably pay for these things (to some degree).
Generally, you have to give the banks credit for detecting irregular uses (notably in other cities or countries). When we travel I always notify my banks (so I don't get any surprises).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hard to control if you turn the card over to a table attendant. Used our joint account debit card ONE TIME, at a local eatery. Easy to point to where/when the card was compromised. Bank alerted me to a boatload of cosmetics I purchased in Idaho the same day! Not sure who the perp was, the TA was a long-time employee, wouldn't risk it IMO. But if the card was left unattended for a short time, a cook or dishwasher, etc, could have sniped a couple pics on th' sly. A cell phone can swipe the info in seconds.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
With all the stolen personal data available for sale on the "dark web", it's a wonder we haven't *all* gone through the credit card cancellation and replacement nightmare.

Upload it once and it's there forever!

grumble grumble

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I use my card for almost everything. It's more convenient than case and I get a little back on each purchase. I do have a second card that I exclusively use for anything where it gets out of my hands. That way If I have to cancel it is not much of a problem.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We've replaced our cards at least half a dozen times. Our credit card companies call us if something looks suspicious, even once when I was on the East coast to pick up something and a quick call cleared that up. (y)