• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wiring ??'s

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't have the diagram with me right now but I'm pretty sure the generator wires should be brown/yellow (probably larger wire) to the D post and the field wire should be brown/green. And yes it is really important that you get them right.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The hot wire for the switch should be green. The other I think is green with another color tracer, don't remember what though. It won't make any difference which wire connects to which terminal.

OP
R

rossco

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The hot wire for the switch should be green. The other I think is green with another color tracer, don't remember what though. It won't make any difference which wire connects to which terminal.
Green with purple. Thank you. Another ? Upstream from that switch the pigtail branches off to the dimmer switch. At that juncture I have another lone green with purple wire. Any idea where that goes?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
What car are we working on? Sounds like you need to get a proper wiring diagram for it anyway. When you say "at that juncture" do you mean where it branches to the dimmer or at the dimmer end. If at the dimmer end then something seems wrong as all those wires should be blue, two with tracers. If at the branch, would it be under the dash? If so, I can't think what it might be unless it is the other end of the same G/P wire at the brake light switch. If so it should eventually go to the brake lights. Do you have a meter to check the continuity for that?

OP
R

rossco

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
What car are we working on? Sounds like you need to get a proper wiring diagram for it anyway. When you say "at that juncture" do you mean where it branches to the dimmer or at the dimmer end. If at the dimmer end then something seems wrong as all those wires should be blue, two with tracers. If at the branch, would it be under the dash? If so, I can't think what it might be unless it is the other end of the same G/P wire at the brake light switch. If so it should eventually go to the brake lights. Do you have a meter to check the continuity for that?
I have a diagram. Not real savvy at using it but I'm getting better. The wire is upstream from the dimmer switch, where the pigtail branches from the main loom. I believe the wire in question is for the heater motor. The close proximity would bear that out. I appreciate your help. Thank you. P.S. There will be more.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
If you could let us know what year the car is, we can check our own diagrams - it is worth putting it in your signature at the bottom of your posts

OP
R

rossco

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It's a '60 bugeye AN5L11224. The green/purple wire is NOT the heater wire. I thought the placement close to the heater was a tip off but when I went back to the shop the diagram showed otherwise. I'm getting good continuity front to back on the loom but stuff under the dash is tough. There is history under there and some of it is really cobbled up. Your help is, as always really appreciated.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for identifying the car. Now we know what to look for. If I understood right, you have continuity between the wire in question and the g/p wire at the brake light switch. If so then that wire HAS to connect to the brake lights. I don't have a bugeye but the rear harness is probably separate from the main. Anyway, look for another g/p wire nearby and that is probably it. There are not very many purple wires in the system and probably even less with a purple tracer. It also helps to understand the Lucas color codes for the primary wire colors.
black is ground (earth in brittish speak) (B in diagrams)
brown is always hot (N in the diagrams)
purple is always hot and fused (P in diagrams)
white is hot with ign switch on (W in diagrams
green is hot and fused with ign switch on (G in diagrams)
blue is headlights always hot and fused (U in diagrams)
solid color wires are not switched (except maybe by ign switch)
wires with tracer are always switched (in addition to ign switch)
wires are not fused unless stated above.
I hope I haven't left something important out in this.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I finally remembered to look at my Haynes manual and that G/P wire at the heater is probably a G/N (green/brown) wire and it does go to the heater. It is very easy to confuse the brown and purple tracers as they are very nearly the same. So check it again and being close to the heater, I'll bet it is G/N.

OP
R

rossco

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for identifying the car. Now we know what to look for. If I understood right, you have continuity between the wire in question and the g/p wire at the brake light switch. If so then that wire HAS to connect to the brake lights. I don't have a bugeye but the rear harness is probably separate from the main. Anyway, look for another g/p wire nearby and that is probably it. There are not very many purple wires in the system and probably even less with a purple tracer. It also helps to understand the Lucas color codes for the primary wire colors.
black is ground (earth in brittish speak) (B in diagrams)
brown is always hot (N in the diagrams)
purple is always hot and fused (P in diagrams)
white is hot with ign switch on (W in diagrams
green is hot and fused with ign switch on (G in diagrams)
blue is headlights always hot and fused (U in diagrams)
solid color wires are not switched (except maybe by ign switch)
wires with tracer are always switched (in addition to ign switch)
wires are not fused unless stated above.
I hope I haven't left something important out in this.
This is a great post for my purposes. I'll lift these notes for future. Thank you. Still no home for my lone GP wire. No continuity yet with anything else. Only reference on the schematic is brake switch to R & L stop lights. Some Brit is probably rolling around on a floor somewhere laughing about sticking it to some Yank in the states.

OP
R

rossco

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Headlight dip switch. Only mark I see on the switch is a small arrow stamped in the bakelite that I assume indicates the blue feeder wire. Blue with white to left headlight, blue and red to right headlight. Are they post specific?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
IIRC it was obvious or maybe logical on my MKIV which was the blue wire. The other 2 don't matter. But see my note above on your mystery G/P wire. Considering its location, I would almost bet it is G/N and is the heater wire.

OP
R

rossco

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
THE 3 POSTS ON THE SWITCH ARE IN A WYE CONFIGURATION. THE ARROW IS AT WHAT WOULD BE THE BOTTOM. WOULD THE DIAGRAM FOLKS INFER THAT AS BEING THE FEEDER?

OP
R

rossco

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
THE 3 POSTS ON THE SWITCH ARE IN A WYE CONFIGURATION. THE ARROW IS AT WHAT WOULD BE THE BOTTOM. WOULD THE DIAGRAM FOLKS INFER THAT AS BEING THE FEEDER?
Hooked a single lead wire to 6 volt battery. Ran wire to what I believe is the feeder pole on switch. Found continuity between batt source and one side pole. Threw switch and got ohms on other pole. Other than finding the switch works what do I have?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Both Headlights get the same feed there is a Blue / White and a Blue/ Red going to each headlight . One color is low Beam, the other color is high beam. Green/Purple Connects to the Stop Light Switch and then runs to the Bright Left and Right Turn Signal Lamp.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think Jim meant to say the G/P wire runs to the Bright Left and Right Brake Lamp rather than Turn Signal Lamp. The turn signal wires are G/R and G/W.
Also, you have found the feed pole of the dimmer switch, where you connected the battery.