• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Why wasn't I told?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
That it was possible to gravity bleed brakes? Did I miss the memo? Are you holding out on me? making fun of me behind my back?

Harumph harumph harumph 😁

PS it worked, pedal is hard again

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gravity is a wonderful thing when it's on your side!

I'm still trying to convince people that I don't bench-bleed my master cylinders. Maybe it's "necessary" on a modern dual-circuit master, but I've replaced a few of those too and never bench-bled any of them.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gravity bleeding... it works, but it's BORING!! :devilish:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Seriously though Doc while you are correct about the boring part, as I was watching the Moss video they were talking about classic car people using this because the traditional - push and hold the pedal can push the inner gubbins past their normal range which can be problematic for cars where the bore isn't smooth beyond the normal range and the MC might not be easily repairable/ replaceable.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Didn't ask! I use all methods. Once at a light aircraft shop the mechanic and an A&P couldn't get the brakes bled on a Stearman. After a few minutes the boss asked if his plane was ready, they said, no! More bleeding, more gravity bleeding, still no brakes. While watching, I finally said hit the caliper with a long wrench while pressuring. Sure enough the bubbles came out. The question was, after trying to bleed for an hour, you never said anything. I responded with, got tired of watching and you did not ask.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The question was, after trying to bleed for an hour, you never said anything. I responded with, got tired of watching and you did not ask.
That's gotta be classic, Larry!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
For many years Rolls Royce used a mineral oil in their hydraulic systems. The pressures were kind of outrageous, bleeding the system required some attention to detail. The "self-leveling" system at the rear of the cars was part of the hydraulics and there were naive shops taking in a Rolls for brake work, not considering the leveling system as part-and-parcel of the overall... we saw a number of cars come to us after having in some cases, GALLONS of expensive "Rolls exclusive" fluid run through the brake system, still with sub-standard brake pedal.

They didn't ask. We didn't tell. ;)

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
This was in Crestview, Fla., Red River Cessna repair port. I was sitting nex to Retired General McCutchen, who's Dad flew Tigers and Corsairs in China and WWII. Had another older gentleman sitting with us talking planes. Pennsacola has a rather rich aircraft history. Very interesting place.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Of Pensacola and their aircraft history, I was somewhat surprised at this news a year ago.

I flew with a number of the AC-130 Spectre gunship missions out of Ubon, Thailand, back when they were sharing space with 16th SOS. Now they're out in Basil's neck-o-the woods. And a much more formidable weapons platform than back then... tho plenty effective even then. 😲