Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I am new to the MG Midget but I think you will find that you will have UNF bolts and maybe some UNC, but no Whitworth threads.
Whitworth came in 2 flavors. BSF and BSW for fine and coarse. Most cars in the UK used UNF and UNC.
Does look like the cabs use some BSF spanner/wrenches.
BSF and BSW head sizes were brought into line some years ago so there are two sizes marked on them. For instance 7/16 BSF 1/2 BSW At one time you had to have 2 separate sets of spanners one BSF and one BSW.
Yup, car is all "standard" mostly fine thread other than at least one nut on the carbs. Only a handful of sizes as well so it's an easy car to work on.
Another thread (with different wrench sizes) that you'll run across is British Association (BA). Used by Lucas, Smiths and SU. Examples of BA cheese head screws include SU carb dashpots, Lucas distributor points, Smiths fuel sending units, SU electric pumps (I'm not familiar with the mechanical SU pump). The threaded studs on the back of Smiths gauges are BA.
So be cautious when chasing threads. BA and Whitworth thread gauges are available on Amazon. Descriptions of British threads can be found on British Tools and Fasteners web site.
Years ago I bought a Myford lathe from back in the 40s. It's pretty much Whitworth so in one of my trips to the UK I bought a couple of sets of Whitworth wrenches and sockets at boot sales. They were very inexpensive, even though good quality names. In the work I've done so far on our bug eye I've had to use Whitworth wrenches a couple of times but probably could have gotten away with an adjustable spanner. You can see that I have a set of Whitworth, SAE and Metric wrenches on the wall behind the lathe...
The contraption to the right side of this shot is a Zeiss operating room microscope I adapted for doing fine work on the lathe.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.