• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Group events

Photography

We're gonna need

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
So if that is a prime lens, how did they photograph all the steps? And what was the focal length of the initial wide lens?

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I’m not sure if it has some sort of step system built in or not, but you ask a good question

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
From the description below the vid:

"The video is a series of quick stills I took of the lens. I have also included video of the SIMULATED magnification. In fact the maximum video telephoto of this SIMULATION still just falls short of 3700mm in 35mm terms. So the 5200mm would be much closer & far sharper & distortion free with no nasty CA. The video was shot with an SD 16x9 2/3" camcorder with a SD TV video lens using multiple optical extenders. If the actual 5200mm was hooked up to a video camera we'd probably be seeing a close up on an eye. To make it clear - the VIDEO IS SIMULATED - not shot with the actual 5200mm lens - since it's a "PRIME" - How could it be zooming? And of course there would be no nasty CA, edge blur, or fringing issues."

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I'm starting to think it is fake. All the images I found of the lens are in this video, (same guy in the photo) and two black and white shots. The build quality looks really bad and what kinda base is that? No wheels, no protective case. It may have started as an April fool's prank at Canon (the b&w photo with the rifle sites on it). The color shots with the video look like a home build. I could not find a photo or video taken with that lens. I'd think Canon would have showcased it's capabilities at the time.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Right there with ya, Greg. The April Fools joke was what passed thru my head, tried to find dates but vid was a November one, nothing else found. And the overall look of the thing seems amateurish, tacky. The "mount" at the back looks as if it was harvested from a scrapyard. Canon would have a clean, polished piece if it were as "groundbreaking" as its supposed to be, methinks. Same with the base it sits on. corroded tubing, crappy welding on the front right bracket. Again, not what Canon would do. Add that the video is admittedly NOT through the thing. I call B(ogu)S.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
For what it's worth, this article states there were three of these lenses made and one sold on Ebay for $50k. The description in the video states that the he only used stills of the lens and that the video was simulated. That doesn't mean that this lens doesn't exist. Seems to be a lot of articles out there about this lens.

Some more info:

Also found this B&W image of the lens on a mount with a seat reminiscent of a larger telescope.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 8.08.38 AM.jpg

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wow. I sit corrected.

And in awe of the display of cameras behind that Leica 1600mm.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Speaking of big lenses, the biggest I have is my Sigma 150-600mm. It's big but at about 4lbs, it is quite hand-holdable, at least for short periods. Mine is the "Contemporary" (reader cheaper) version. There is also a "Sport" version that costs more than twice as much and weights a full 2.3 lbs more! The IQ on both lenses, for all the reviews I've seen, is nearly identical. Unless you're really pixel peeping you would not see any difference. So what do you get for more than twice the cost? Better build quality and better weather-proofing. I could;d only see buying that lens if I was earning a living with photography and need to be out in extreme weather often.

This is me shooting the Solar Eclipse in 2017 with the Sigma Lens and a 7D Mark II crop sensor.

Eclipse Trip Grants Ranch-1954.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Extreme long lenses tended to be a "nice-to-have" for the work I used to do. The same with extreme wide-angle optics. And on both ends of that range they tend to be hyper expensive. It has been rare for me to use anything beyond a 300mm, though I do own a 400mm Soligor F-mount. Now, with the DSLR's and the range of AF glass available, what used to be six or seven primes we've covered with three zooms. Effectively range from full-frame equivalent of 15mm to 450mm.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Well, I'm still not convinced. I've seen those sites and they all circle back to the same two sources which are not Canon. The Ebay posting I see shows a price of $45,000 with no bids. There are differences with the lens between the B&W shot and the color. The round barrel is a different color. The grey in the color shot looks like a cheap spray, which is chipping off. Note under the chipping is not black. The handles at the bottom are different. The rear set is further forward in the B&W shot. Also, I don't see any mounting points for the spotting scopes (side and top) in the color photos.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Extreme long lenses tended to be a "nice-to-have" for the work I used to do. The same with extreme wide-angle optics. And on both ends of that range they tend to be hyper expensive. It has been rare for me to use anything beyond a 300mm, though I do own a 400mm Soligor F-mount. Now, with the DSLR's and the range of AF glass available, what used to be six or seven primes we've covered with three zooms. Effectively range from full-frame equivalent of 15mm to 450mm.
It is true enough that longer and ultra-wide glass can get very expensive. Longer zooms get exponentially more expensive as the f-stop goes down. My Sigma is more of a poor man's zoom (under $1000) but it's apature only opens to 5.6 on the wide end and 6.3 on the long end. Compare its price to a Canon 200-400 f4 at $11,000! Or a 400mm f2.8 prime at $12,000 - yikes! If I were going on a Safari to Africa I might spend a few hundred and rent one of those, but unless I got a job with Nat Geo, I could never see myself laying out that kind of money for a lens.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Used to belong to NPS but some time in the late '80's/ early '90's they got stupid with the dues and limited the benefits. Before that, you could rent "special" equipment for a job, about anything they made, for silly money. They've apparently learned better and are more realistic now.