• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

WEBASTO Folding Sunroof

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm in contact with the the UK company that has taken over the supply & distribution of the classic Webasto folding sunroof. They provide complete kits for most British saloon & GT cars along with individual items so a person who owns one of the roofs can restore theirs.

They aren't cheap by any means, 300£ - 600£ depending on the application, plus shipping charges. So, I'm wondering: is there enough interest for me to work on attaining a North American distributorship or would one large group buy with shipping to a common point in the US work?

Let me know your thoughts, please.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
I think there would be a demand for the plastic parts that break. Those tops were also installed in other european cars. The BMW 2002 guys go nuts for those things. There are alot of TR7 and TR8 coupes with broken ones.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Tony, I do not think that the Americans favor the webasto topped saloons, preferring the more rare metal sun roof models. IMOP they are ugly as sin and preset an additional maintenance headache. For those that have them and need parts or a replacement an open channel to the UK supplier might be beneficial.--Fwiw--Keoke

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
The current custom car folks also use Webasto roofs. The guys on MTVs "Pimp My Ride" put one on a VW bus on an episode a couple of years back. That might be a good indicator that there is a larger market for Webasto roofs in addition to traditional classic cars.

I was considering one for the GT6, but just can't bring (or trust) myself to cut the roof.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
We have on in my daughter's '71 Karmann Ghia - it was there when we bought the car in '87.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
I was considering one for the GT6, but just can't bring (or trust) myself to cut the roof.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If it were me I'd probably consider taking it to a professional body shop and have them install it.