• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wax Latest

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Re: Wax up-date

Interesting deal with aluminum props and salt air. I wonder if it happens at our shore airports? (Ocean City, Cape May, etc.)

The biggest concern I have with *my* prop would be woodworm or temites (kind of like an old Morgan, eh?) Can't really wax it too much either.....wouldn't have enough "tooth" to grip it when "propping" (aka "The Armstong Starter" method). As the weather warms up, the rest of the plane is due to have hand rubbed wax applied to the fabric....a grueling job, it takes about 10 hours and doesn't even look shiney afterwards (not supposed to).

Speaking of wood props, I spent Saturday morning helping my neighbor start his homebuilt plane....a gorgeous Pietenpol, he's been building for 3 years. Sounded great(C65)! Wings are still off, but it should be flying in late Spring.

I saw your DC aero pix of the Capitol in the MG forum....sadly, I don't think you'll ever be able to go there again! I'm assuming that whirlybird is a Bell 47. Fixed-wing-guy-joke: "Helecopters can't really fly! They're just so *ugly*, the Earth repels them!"
grin.gif

OP
A

aerog

Re: Wax up-date

Pietenpol... now you're talking. I ordered my set of Piet plans from Bernie Pietenpol quite awhile ago, built the ribs, and got sidetracked on life. I'm still interested in it - maybe just because it's still rather unique - but after seeing so many flying behind old Ford Model A engines, radiators and all I wondered how much of a step "back" I wanted to take. The C65 powered idea is precisely what I was aiming for too - nice package.

Actually we've had success moving forward with permits to penetrate the DC Prohibited area (P56). Fixed-wing work isn't all that hard, although there are a lot of hoops to jump through. Obviously it helps to be doing work for the government in the first place.

The procedure was long and involved before, for the helicopter - mostly because we fly at 300'agl - dealing with all kinds of different agencies far and above the FAA. Once we (me and one other person) had security clearances and had the paperwork done (took about a year all in all) we made a phone call on the appointed morning, flew to DC and never even talked to anyone on the radio (except to say "we're here" and "thanks, see ya"). It's kind of nice to be given temporary ownership of the airspace like that.

Good luck with the waxing. I usually wax the 152 a couple times a year, but haven't had to deal with fabric in a long time. Fortunately it never has been parked outside and the paint is only a couple years old. The bugs think about sticking, but end up sliding off (ok, sometimes that is)
wink.gif