• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Group events

Photography

Was culling my photos and ran across Pelican in flight

Basil

Administrator
Boss
This was shot a couple years ago in San Diego. Shot with Canon 7D Mark II (crop sensor) with a Canon EF70-200 F4 lens at about 113mm and F4.5, ISO 100, shutter at 1/1250th sec.

4F78BD74-45E1-4F17-BA90-96DED22A4E40.jpeg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Keep 'em comin'!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
DSC_4993.jpg
Shot in IR, This is the full frame. 105 F1.8 @F8 ISO 160 1/1500. Manual focus.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Greg, in that first shot, what is the upper left red shifted sphere-like thingie? The Moon?!? An internal lens reflection?

Whatever, it's spooky.

Last edited:
OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Greg, in that first shot, what is the upper left red shifted sphere-like thingie? The Moon?!? An internal lens reflection?

Whatever, it's spooky.
I'm interested too but if I was going to guess, seeing how the backs of the wings are lit, I'g guess it's lens flair. Greg what say you?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I also think it is lens flare. When I zoom in there are odd things. Like I double exposed the sky with a Petri dish. The color shift usually happens with my 35mm lens. This is the first time for the 105.DSC_4993_01.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wow. Some strange stuff there. If it were film rather than a digital IR image, I'd blame those "crater-like" shapes on processing failures. As it is, I guess I'll call it the sensor's pixel confusion.

Whatever it is, it's strange!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I'd guess salt crystals or just ocean spray on the lens filter. I was just a few feet away from the surf.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd guess salt crystals or just ocean spray on the lens filter. I was just a few feet away from the surf.
With a focal length of 105mm, focused out to what I'd guess to be fifty or sixty feet looking at the first shot, would IR sensitivity show such a defined set of edges from something on the lens filter?

I really have little experience with IR imaging characteristics, only a couple rolls of IR film ever run through a camera. ISTR a dismal failure on my part to get any useful images.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Another thought came to mind. IR doesn't always reflect from black like the visible light we perceive. It can make dark objects appear quite light. The black coating inside lenses can bounce the IR wavelength where visible light would not. I can get hot spots in the middle of frame with my 35mm lens. This happens even when I know there isn't lens flare.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
To illustrate, in this photo the orange of the hat and lace of the dress is black.walking away.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The black coating inside lenses can bounce the IR wavelength where visible light would not. I can get hot spots in the middle of frame with my 35mm lens. This happens even when I know there isn't lens flare.
You've likely explained it!