• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vintage airplane photos

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I'm still actively purchasing vintage photos, I do enjoy acquiring airplane related photos, these two caught my eye recently, I do know a little about them, had just enough hints for some internet research... I suspect both photos might have been taken on the same day... And here is what I found out:

Milton Reynolds was an American entrepreneur, known for introducing the first ballpoint pen to be sold in the U.S.... The aircraft seen here was a converted Douglas A26 bomber, Serial Number NX67834... The pilot, Captain William Odom is also frequently credited as Bill Odom. T Carroll Salee is also often credited as Tex Salee and Tex Sallee... Later in 1947 the aircraft flew around the world in 79 hours, a record time for a twin-engined propellor aircraft.
Found_2331.jpg
Found_2332.jpg

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Another one, of a rare French plane of WW2, only one was ever made but the one prototype was well used during the WW2 period

Latecoere 611 flying boat, also called "Achenor", only one prototype built, used during WW2 for 1600 hours of flying, flown from 1939 to 1947

Found_2277.jpg

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I have some mystery photos as well, yet to be identified, because I don't know much about aviation history

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Wow, those are some neat old photos! Post the mystery photos too - maybe Tom can help!

All found and purchased here in Calgary... I was in a Zoom executive meeting for camera club tonight 😞, just got out of it... Maybe tomorrow some time

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
One more to remind you of winter, not an airplane, but an interesting photo of a Sicard snowblower...

Found_2209.jpg

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I remember flying in a British "Comet" in the mid-late 1960s. Interesting jet (with its built-in engines at the stem of the wings). I understand that the first model came out in 1949 (and maybe retired about 1990).
comet.jpg

Last edited:

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The three planes are a C-47/DC-3, a DeHavilland Vampire and a Fairchild C-82 Packet. The C-82 was the forerunner to the C-119 "Flying Boxcar". Probably RCAF. I have a pretty good collection of vintage aircraft photos as well.

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
The three planes are a C-47/DC-3, a DeHavilland Vampire and a Fairchild C-82 Packet. The C-82 was the forerunner to the C-119 "Flying Boxcar". Probably RCAF. I have a pretty good collection of vintage aircraft photos as well.

Thanks! I knew the middle one is a Vampire, have so many airplanes to identify from my collection of photos :rolleyes: It doesn't really matter that much but... Sounds like the Fairchild C-82 might be a fairly rare photo with not many of them ever made

Last edited:

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks! I knew the middle one is a Vampire, have so many airplanes to identify from my collection of photos :rolleyes: It doesn't really matter that much but... Sounds like the Fairchild C-82 might be a fairly rare photo with not many of them ever made
The C-82 image would be relatively rare. It's definitely in Military Air Transport Service colors -- note the painted tail. That would be red. You might want to share that image with the Hagerstown Aviation Museum. The C-82 was built in Hagerstown, Maryland and the museum currently resides in one of the original Fairchild factory buildings.