• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vega wheels

nomad

Yoda
Agree with all that the Vega as designed was pretty much junk but the Cosworth Vega was an entirely different car. We had an application for a Briggs and Stratton engine that used the same aluminum bore design. The original cast bore engines would run for years but the replacement Al bore's would'nt last a year. I raced crome bored aluminum cylinder 2 strokes that were very durable in those days but soft aluminum against hard aluminum just did'nt seem to work.

Kurt.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
My Ex BIL and Ex FIL both had a Cosworth Vega back in the day. One Black and Gold Pinstripes the other White and Gold Pinstripes. Again they did not keep them long as the rust issue was indeed a problem. If you go back to the C&D Archives fron 1975 or 1976 the Cosworth Vega had the fastest 0-60 time that year of right around 6 seconds flat. They were indeed a quick little car. Handling wasn't all that bad either.

nomad

Yoda
Just refreshed my memory on the Cosworth Vega. I had always thought that the Cosworth engine got cast sleeves but apparently not. It was extensively modified with with dual overhead cams rather than the single but kept the Al bores. Guess I'm lucky I never got one!!

Kurt.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Definitely not in keeping with the Chevrolet legend. By 1978, I had sold it, but not before the car was on it's second engine and a complete re-spray. In 1977, I bought a 1955 Chevy. It had 100,000 miles on it, and except for tightening up the steering and a little tuning up, it needed nothing mechanically. It had the 265 V8 w/3 speed and overdrive. I restored the car cosmetically inside and out for under $1000 (paint and upholstery was professionally done) (yes, it was possible back then), and with the Truespoke wires and new tires was into the car for a little over $3k. I kept and drove it until around 1986 and never had to put another cent into it. It was a phenomenal ride - great looks and solid ride. In 1979, I bought a '69 BGT which I completely restored and it became my daily driver until 1987. The only reason I sold either of them, was that by then having a 2 year old meant getting a "family" car. I ended up buying another brand new car that was nothing but grief. I'd have the Chevy and the BGT back in a heartbeat, especially for what I sold them for at the time.

55ChevDspk.jpg

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
nomad said:
Just refreshed my memory on the Cosworth Vega. I had always thought that the Cosworth engine got cast sleeves but apparently not. It was extensively modified with with dual overhead cams rather than the single but kept the Al bores. Guess I'm lucky I never got one!!

Kurt.
By 1976, when I bought mine, the production cars had sleeves. So, I assume the Cosworth ones had them too. Maybe the Cosworth were older than that, I do not remember.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
aeronca65t said:
All this talk about Vegas reminds me how much I liked them (especially the Cosworth version), but as some of you have noted, they had numerous issue.
The car was a decent idea, poorly executed.

Many of us are familar with the aluminum engine issues, but as Gerard mentioned, the rust problems were really bad too. A friend of mine lived in Buffalo back then and he said the front fenders would barely last two winters up there. Local dealers had a "silent recall" to replace fenders for free.

Around '75 a friend of mine solved the aluminum engine problem buy dropping a Chevy V8 in his Vega. I drove it and it was pretty amazing (at least in a straight line).
The Reynolds process that GM used to create the cylinder walls in the Vega aluminum engines was a flop at the time. But BMW, Mercedes and probably others use it today and it works quite well.

Does anyone recall the fact that the Vega was really slated to have a rotary (Wankel) engine? That's why the trans tunnel shape did not match the eventual engine and trans combo. It was really designed to fit the differently-shaped rotary powerplant. GM had plans to use the Wankel in the Corvette back them too.

Back in the 70's when I considered buying a Vega I ended up with a (used) Pinto......a more "boring" car, but also more durable. I got great service from that Pinto and we had two other decent Pintos in the family as well. I never see any Vegas anymore, but we still have several Pintos vintage racing with us and I know of two stock Pintos still on the street.

I wondered if any of you recall the way they shipped Vegas on railcars. They were sent "nose down"....another weird idea that didn't catch on.

Vert_A_Pac_railcar_2.jpg
That was to keep the oil from coming out the exhaust when they were new :wink:

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
The steel block 2.5l chevy 4 with a modified intake and 4 barrel carb could kick out some HP and keep the weight down. The V8 drop in people did for vegas, and pintos really made them handling dogs. The Monza 350v8 and the Mustang II 302 v8 both had things right for a compact and could handle pretty well compared to the drop ins.

nomad

Yoda
Started out a Ford fan cause my dad was. Had a 64 Fairlane Sport Coupe with a hot 289 but after getting my butt kicked regularly I became a Chev fan till I owned a 76 Monte Carlo which cured me and made me a Datsun fan till now. Brit car nut as well starting with a MG TC but in the upper midwest I usually kept them parked in the winter. Need a little more clearance underneath to plow snow drifts!

Kurt.

OP
DWeeB

DWeeB

Jedi Trainee
Ok I dug out the Vega rims and cleaned them up, and they look really good and look cool on the car. So I decided to have the lug holes plug welded and re-drilled to fit the 3/8 studs. I'm not sure how good this will work but I figured it's worth a try since it won't cost me anything to do. What do you guys think, dumb idea?

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
There are 3/8 nuts out there that will fit the vega wheels without all that work. I have a set right now that I use on the factory MG wheels but I have to be real careful to get the nuts in the taper of the wheels. I got mine off Ebay and didn't realize the difference until I got them.

nomad

Yoda
Billm said:
With your car/engine I would put in the 7/16 studs all around!!
BillM

Agree, Bill. The first thing most do when getting wild with the car and not all that hard to do.

kurt.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
A rotary engine with about a half a gazillion horsepower would make short work of 3/8" studs.
BillM

OP
DWeeB

DWeeB

Jedi Trainee
Yeah point taken Bill, I will look into the 7/16 studs.

OP
DWeeB

DWeeB

Jedi Trainee
Branson said:
remember the video of the rolling triumph.....yeahhhh....

Yeah I do, and I have been taking it easy on the power slides since seeing it.

Tom Walker

Freshman Member
I have a 1962 sprite with a 2300 mustang under the hood. i run the Chevrolet Vega GT
6” wide wheels. When the car was built they changed the std 3/8 inch studs to Chevrolet 7/16 20 studs. The wheel clearance is minimal even with spacers but the car handles beautifully. My son and I auto cross the car at annual events of the austin healey sports and touring club called encounter. they did flare the rear fenders to fit the larger wheels.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Holy thread resurrection Batman! Eight years! Could you please post pics? My Vauxhall has also got a 4X4 PCD but with 7/16 studs and while I don't personally need to change my rims, I would love to see what they look like. thanks!