Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
the fan clutch (it had an oily substance coming out of its seal) needs to be replaced. I noticed it is a bit cheaper to get a electric cooling fan instead of a new fan clutch.
I bought a 10" Hayden at Advance Auto for $55. It did not include a temperature sensor so I just wired it into a switch. I only use it when needed. It was much less expensive than some other kits and it works great. I mounted it as a pusher on front of the radiator. I had to remove the radiator to install it because it would not fit through the grill opening. I have not removed my plastic engine fan yet. I have a 1275 which did not use a clutch on the fan. I'm not sure on the later radiators, but you may have room to install it behind the radiator once you remove the old fan. Just make sure you verify which way the air flows. You can reverse it by flipping the fan over on the shaft.
I had been thinking about that as well on my bugeye. It seems the drilled temp. senor on the radiator would be a good place to put a sensor for a fan. The one of the gauge is in the head, a better place for that. Anyone have any experience with this?
I had been thinking about that as well on my bugeye. It seems the drilled temp. senor on the radiator would be a good place to put a sensor for a fan. The one of the gauge is in the head, a better place for that. Anyone have any experience with this?
I had been thinking about that as well on my bugeye. It seems the drilled temp. senor on the radiator would be a good place to put a sensor for a fan. The one of the gauge is in the head, a better place for that. Anyone have any experience with this?
On my 1500, I bought a slim fan off Ebay but it would not fit behind the radiator (even if I had hack-sawed off that bit of the water pump shaft that holds the fan clutch).
What I'm trying to say is that whatever fan you buy it will have to be mounted in front of the radiator.
With the Moss kit, it includes a sensor that goes into the blades of the radiator. Has anybody tried the kit from Moss and can say how well it works or not?
You can buy a large, 12-volt fan from any electronics catalog--take a look at Digi-Key for example (https://www.digikey.com/). I made an electronic controller, (https://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/controller/) and I think it's come on maybe twice in its life--but I didn't remove the engine fan. The idea was to have something to prevent overheating in traffic on hot days. If you are removing the engine fan, though, you obviously need a thermostat, Probably can get one from any of several places, like maybe Summit Racing.
Moss just buys the parts off the shelf, puts them in a box with instructions, and charges twice what it would cost you to do the same thing.
Other alternative is using a Geo Metro Radiator like Frank did for PIECES. There are pics over on SpriteSpot.com page under Cooling Section. I am planning on one of these conversions for Bugsy my '68 with BE Bonnet. Temps rise on long 65+ expressway speeds although around town perfectly adequate. This conversion close to doubles cooling capacity plus adds an electric fan. See article for more details.
Other alternative is using a Geo Metro Radiator like Frank did for PIECES. There are pics over on SpriteSpot.com page under Cooling Section. I am planning on one of these conversions for Bugsy my '68 with BE Bonnet. Temps rise on long 65+ expressway speeds although around town perfectly adequate. This conversion close to doubles cooling capacity plus adds an electric fan. See article for more details.
You know, I've looked at the Geo metro rad in junk yard cars and that thing is tiny. Where do the specs that say it will cool that much better come from? I have a hard time believeing them though it sure would fit easily enough.
Just needing a little reassurance!!
Note that there are two radiators, you want to use the Auto Tranny I think, I need to go back and reread the notes as one of the radiators is 1 1/2" shorter than the other. My thought was if bought new, could you use the tranny cooler section as an oil cooler and ditch the 13 row external oil cooler I have sitting in front of the radiator. Hmmm
I know when I looked for Radiators for Geo Metro new replacement for OEM rather than go junkyard, they show a total height on just over 14" and spec out as double row or even triple row someone told me. They and the Hayden electrci fan and Bob's Your Uncle.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.