A few weeks ago a 72 TR6 followed me home to keep the GT6 company. It ran rough, missed, and was low on power and by the smell of the exhaust I guessed it was running way to rich. I took a few minutes and went thru the obvious things on the ignition system- verified firing order, point gap, condition of the cap/rotor, wire connections and plug gap. No surprises and the plugs were carbon fouled, the back 3 were really coated. I took the car to our local LBC guru and he sorted out the carbs & verified the ignition system. The car runs MUCH better now! I was told the breaker plate was worn which was causing the miss, which it does still have. The mechanic suggested (thru the paperwork) an electronic ignition.
I was looking at the ones offered by the 'big 3 suppliers' of LBC stuff and I need some education.... Do these conversions include a new 'plate' or do they attach to the old one? If they just 'attach' to the old one what will I have gained except no points to replace? Are they as easy to install as claimed and relatively fool-proof?
This is essentially my wife's car and now that it's drivable I'd like to keep her happy.
I was looking at the ones offered by the 'big 3 suppliers' of LBC stuff and I need some education.... Do these conversions include a new 'plate' or do they attach to the old one? If they just 'attach' to the old one what will I have gained except no points to replace? Are they as easy to install as claimed and relatively fool-proof?
This is essentially my wife's car and now that it's drivable I'd like to keep her happy.
Hey Guest!

Poolboy is right... it is money well spent to have your dizzy rebuilt. After having mine gone over by Jeff the car ran so much better.