Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Lucas 987. If you can find them, a standard 1446 bulb will fit, but I've never found an auto parts store that stocks them, and my FLAPS would only special-order a full box. Would have been cheaper (and probably faster) to just order them from the usual suspects (TRF P/N is LULLB987 currently $.82/each)
Any idea what the candle power of the dash bulbs are or should be? When I put my 4A together I bought 1CP bulbs believeing heat to be a problem. They seem too dim however. That's why I'm asking the question.
One must remeber the old saying about lights by Lucas Electric, the three settings are dim, flicker and off. In many cases cloudy plastic around the gauges hinders the bulbs fri=om iluminating the gauges and poor grounds often tend to create the flicker effect.
Candle power of a Lucas bulb...... Too funny! Maybe that's why the systems are prone to giving off smoke. Snort... coffee comming out my nose! Making me laugh in the morning. " Proper gentleman does not motor about after dark" Quote C/O Charles Lucas. Note to self 1923. Sell All Lucas Stock!!!!!!!
I am looking into led bulbs and other ideas for upping the lumination of the TR250, i think it is the same bulb as a TR3, it is called an E10 screw base.
Little British Car co. sells some "upgraded" bulbs for your british cars, tungsten or Halogen or both, 7.00 and $19.00 each for what they describe as the really good ones, that gets expensive in a hurry, I have been tryong to find a cheaper source of upgrade.
LEDs can be tricky as the light can be more directional than a regular bulb, so you have to take that into account, I have some on order fromm the 2nd source listed, will let you know how they work.
<span style="font-size: 12pt">Randall's info is correct as is "Hawaii" Dave's re: cloudy
plastic.
When I restore a 52mm gauge for a TR2-3B I replace the plastic
with a modern material that doesn't "cloud up" or shrink as it
ages.
There is a source out there for E10 base (miniature screw)
with a 5 Amp rating. Solves the "dim light" problem but
I don't recommend them for the ignition light indicator.
(Too hot & they will melt that cheap plastic red lens real quick.)
BUT
There is also a source for a 1 watt E10 base that solves the
heat problem for the ignition light.
The 5 amp bulbs are good for TR2-TR4A gauges but although they
fit TR250- TR6 gauges, the blue cast that is designed for them
is partially accomplished by a plastic insert that the 5 amp
bulbs will melt. If you want more light in your 250-TR6 gauges
it will be necessary to dis-assemble the gauge, remove the blue
insert, and paint the inside of the gauge body white. (A lot of
work... carry a flashlight!!!)
I tried LEDs...IMO the fact that they are so directional it negated
any advantage.
Frank </span>
Hopefully you meant 5 watts rather than 5 amps Even so, I'd think you'd have trouble with too much heat.
I've toyed around some with LEDs, but honestly I prefer the soft yellow glow of incandescents. Too much light from the dash is not a Good Thing anyway, as it interferes with your night vision. On a really dark road, I turn them off anyway.
Not exactly on this topic but I recently put some LED bulbs in my Tail and Brake lights (TR4A) and I am very pleased with the increased visibility they provide to following cars. Much improved.
Same screw in type. 1.2 watts of LED/70 lumens might be too bright, as my TR3 does not have the dimmable light switch. I suppose I could mess with current limiting resistors to lower the brightness. I like the way those LED bulbs are omnidirectional. I think I'll try a few.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.