• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Too long in storage

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
They've got "patina." These are in a "private collection" where pal and former partner is slowly going thru the inventory, getting some up and running. One of these may be next on the list.
MGApair.JPG

Likely this one first:
MGA_TC.JPG

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I figure you guys will have them running by the weekend.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I figure you guys will have them running by the weekend.
Not likely. Just gonna stare at 'em sternly for a while. There's a TR-3 and a V-12 Jag resto in progress ahead of 'em.

The TR-3 steering box was supposedly "rebuilt" a while back (at considerable expense to the owner), the hammer mechanic who did it should be drawn and quartered. Half a turn on the wheel before any movement at the tires. They left the old bearing, along with a worn out shaft bushing. Rimmer Bros. is sending the bushing replacement, only source we could find. Rest of the car is a bag of worms, too. Had to go thru the trans and overdrive, just in case it'd been treated the same way. Sure enuff: Clean up the outside of the case and charge for a "rebuild." All done over a decade ago. Thankfully, that outfit is out of business.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not likely. Just gonna stare at 'em sternly for a while. There's a TR-3 and a V-12 Jag resto in progress ahead of 'em.

The TR-3 steering box was supposedly "rebuilt" a while back (at considerable expense to the owner), the hammer mechanic who did it should be drawn and quartered. Half a turn on the wheel before any movement at the tires. They left the old bearing, along with a worn out shaft bushing. Rimmer Bros. is sending the bushing replacement, only source we could find. Rest of the car is a bag of worms, too. Had to go thru the trans and overdrive, just in case it'd been treated the same way. Sure enuff: Clean up the outside of the case and charge for a "rebuild." All done over a decade ago. Thankfully, that outfit is out of business.
That is sad when ~mechanics~ pull that shi⍭ (I'm in trouble now ;)) on unsuspecting customers.
Many years ago my wife took our Nissan Stanza wagon in to a transmission shop as it was not shifting out of second. They told my wife there was "metal chips in the fluid". I ended up draining the trans fluid and NOT a piece of metal in there!. I changed the trans filter and put fresh fluid in and we never had another problem with that car for the rest of the years we owned it.
A V-12 Jag... some nice brit muscle there.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Run while you can!
It only takes one experience with a T/C MGA to understand. :giggle:

If it doesn't belch blue smoke and the coolant and oil stay in their respective galleys, the owner will be counseled to put it up for sale "as is"!

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
That cammer can be trouble. I’ll take a TC anyday…over the V12 as well. Way too much US spec crap fitted for my liking.
Excellent advise. Here’s hoping he listens and lives far from me.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That cammer can be trouble. I’ll take a TC anyday…over the V12 as well. Way too much US spec crap fitted for my liking.
Excellent advise. Here’s hoping he listens and lives far from me.
I think you're safe, D. A whole continent away. And certainly right regarding the plumbing on the Jag!

This particular V-12 is one I'd done a rebuild of back in about 1996~7, owner decided a year ago he wanted to do the entire car, color change and the engine was tired. It's a 1974 manual 4-speed, convertible. Former partner did the engine this time. Car has been disassembled, dipped, all metalwork done and now in base coat and being reassembled. Engine in and running well. Lots of work. Upholstery material ordered and coming from Old Blighty to do the interior. It should be a stunner when completed.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
After twenty-five years of alternating hard treatment and neglect? naahh...

The car would sit ignored under a house on the Intercoastal for months, open-air with no cover. Then be driven hard by the guy (or later, his kids) and parked 'til the next time, whenever that may have been. Oil change? Maybe once in a couple years. Washed? Only if it was to be driven to some 'destination' like a vacation or event. Ever see what salt air can do to aluminum? Or a steel chassis? When his kids were young, they would use it to lean their bikes against, multiple dings in the right door from that as well. It was brought to the shop in '04 or '05 with "electrical problems." Fuse box was so corroded I had to replace it and rewire a lot of the engine bay harness. Just some of the "highlights" in its history.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I dunno, Dar. But the owner might consider a trade. :devilish:
I have a rusty, crusty, '68 Spitfire with no paint on it and a basket of parts for trade. I'll even throw it in $20 if it is delivered. I know, I'm being overly generous but that is how I am.:p
A twinkie is one of my bucket list cars that I will never have. Just nice to see that they are still out there.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A twinkie is one of my bucket list cars that I will never have. Just nice to see that they are still out there.
On first examination, this one appears to be fairly unmolested as well.

There's a TR-bloody-3 ahead of it. The steering box had ~theoretically~ been rebuilt a couple decades back, the invoice came out at $2K! Very few miles on it since then. All the "rebuilders" did was renew the seal and dump grease into it. Stiff to steer and "gritty" sounding, it came apart to find a rusted bearing had chewed into the box and made a mess of the surface it rides in, and with an ovaled-out input shaft bushing. Unscrupulous people! Surprisingly Rimmer Bros. had the bushing, should arrive any day.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
It will be nice to see this one on the road again. I hope the new owner enjoys it and appreciates what a special car he/she is getting.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Twin-Cam MG. Should never had happened. I had one for 6 months, bought new. Never ran right. I had 3 different range spark plugs in the 4 cylinders to keep it from fouling plugs. Other owners were calling me from as far as Washington DC for tips on how to keep it running. As I recall, the timing chain had no master link or some such nonsense. Compared to a standard MGA, the steering was heavy and you could not use the hand brake because the rear disk would warp. I swapped it for a new VW Beetle and some cash back from Bob Grossman.