• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tire pump in reverse?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
For at least ten years my B&D 500 amp battery replacer with tire pump has worked without problem.

Yesterday my Altima "tire system" said all four tires were low. I checked with my usual gauge, and they were all 25 or 26, supposed to be 33. Pressure had dropped due to sudden cold snap.

I used the tire pump and raised three of them to 32psi; right front wouldn't increase - weird. I checked the pump, and despite sounding normal, there was no air coming from the hose. Maybe trying to do all four tires had somehow "killed" the pump? I tested the spare, which showed 30psi. I used the tire pump and after about two minutes, the pressure had *dropped* five pounds.

Opened up the case, examined all the lines, wires, hose, battery, pump, etc. Battery was 12v as usual. I couldn't see problems anywhere.

What would cause a tire pump (electric, vibrator type) to fail? Motor/vibrator seems fine, but no pressure.

Thanks.
Tom M.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Age. Sitting long spells. Nothing new will last that long. I had a craftsman air compressor that when I was draining it I felt air. Found a hole from internal rust, lasted 40+ yrs. Betting my new upright won't make it after warranty over or local repairman retires.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Larry. Guess I'll keep it for the battery jump start feature (which I've used many times). Was strange to see the tire pressure drop when I thought I was increasing the pressure. Ya can't win!

T.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Don't make stuff like they used to. Don't make people like they used to either!

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I do not know design details of these pumps, so please take what I say with a huge grain of salt:

Iā€™d assume it is a pancake compressor. Meaning a motor pushes on a diaphragm, and a one-way valve makes sure air goes forward.

If the diaphragm has a tear, or the one-way valve goes kaputt, then the unit will make noise, but not move air.

Alternately, the valve to the tire could have a bad seal (meaning the end of the pump hose, not the tire stem). In that case the air gets pumped in the right direction, but leaks to atmosphere instead of into the tire - along with air in the tire.

And for my final assumption, parts might be hard to get, if at all. You could ā€œupgradeā€ to a Porter Cable pancake compressor, which is bigger and 120V, but may have better parts support.

Good luck!

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Mike. I think it's the "bad diaphragm" problem. There's no air pressure coming from the end of the hose at any time, when pressed onto any other tire valve, even my spare. So when I tried the pump, the tire "exhausted" its contents and lowered its own pressure.

All I want for Christmas is a good tire pump, a good tire pump, just a good tire pump!