• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Texas 200 mile road trip success

Nugget

Freshman Member
Country flag
It's been a few years since I posted here (see previous threads (introduction and update), but I thought this was a good time to post another update. We're in the process of relocating from Houston to the Texas hill country and this past weekend it was time to re-garage our little 1960 Bugeye. Stubbornly, I wanted to see if we could get the car the 200 mile distance under its own power, which was an ambitious but hopefully achievable goal given the car's current condition.

Since the last post we've upgraded to a new aluminum radiator and performed a complete overhaul and cleaning of the carbs. We also had 5R Restorations fix up the brakes with new cylinders and brake lines, and a conversion to DOT 5 fluid. All fantastic upgrades, but far from a complete checklist that the car needs. Still, we were optimistic.

The drive went fantastically, it took us about 7 hours in total (including 1 hours spent on a tour at the Shiner beer brewery tour at the half-way point). The Sprite made the entire distance under its own power, although in the peak afternoon heat we did experience some overheating challenges and I think we're going to need to clean the carbs again. Feeling victorious now, and I'm super chuffed that we've got the Sprite relocated to our new place which has room for a proper workshop. We'll be so much better able to maintain and improve this car with all the space here for tools and supplies. Next goalpost: we need to get a timed lap at our local race track for the board.

Our co-driver produced a travel vlog from his perspective: 1960 Austin-Healey Mk1 Sprite Texas Roadtrip

Early morning departure and smooth escape from central Houston, we got out before Friday rush hour began:
IMG_5991.jpeg

Around the half-way point we were feeling bold enough to stop for the 1 hour long tour of the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner:
smallshiner.png

Tiny car is tiny:
IMG_6007.jpeg

Pat MM

Country flag
Fantastic! Thanks for posting. I need the inspiration, as soon as I ā€œfinishā€ the Morris Minor Travellerā€¦ the Bugeye is next.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Bravo on the trip success! (But I worry that the pigtailed driver is missing in the last photo ...)

US 281 - so you were entering Bexar county? Texas Hill Country is a really nice place to visit - and live. Especially if you like German and Czech food.

OP
Nugget

Nugget

Freshman Member
Country flag
Bravo on the trip success! (But I worry that the pigtailed driver is missing in the last photo ...)

US 281 - so you were entering Bexar county? Texas Hill Country is a really nice place to visit - and live. Especially if you like German and Czech food.
Yeah, we just bought a place in the hills near Bulverde (Comal county). Eating kolaches for breakfast right now.

equiraptor

Freshman Member
Country flag

Before the sun got too high I saw the wisdom of my passenger's choice and got my hat! We all took turns driving, being in the support vehicle, navigating, etc.

I took a few photos of the car at its final destination:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good stuff! Congratulations on two fronts... the move and the journey.

As my good friend and ex-pat Brit with a London Guilds Certificate says: "Even if they're only half-right, these cars will run in the bottom of a bucket of s**t!"

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Congrats on the journey and the move. Houston is certainly not an ideal location for a Sprite.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congrats on the move and drive. Always good to see a Bugeye on the road. They are tough little cars in their own way, though the "in car entertainment" of watching the temp gauge when stuck in traffic is always exciting.

Fun video as well! I'm familiar with your co-drivers work, was fun to be brought along on the journey.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Not sure why, but I love the color of that car! :triumphant:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Great car and wonderful to see that it made the trip without any issues. I will tell you that Iā€™m jealous about the brewery tour. Shiner Bock is a favorite.

Pat MM

Country flag
It appears to be the same color as my brotherā€™s Bugeye!
Heā€™s in the Los Angeles area, so the twins probably wonā€™t ever run into each otherā€¦