• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tesla Plaid and 64 Year Old Driver Do Pikes Peak

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The extremely rapid acceleration alone would be a game changer. Altitude changes would have no effect, either. Impressive run!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Nice job! (y) I've been up there 3 times and I don't remember the road being that long. They've made a couple improvements since I was there last, like it's paved and they even installed guard rails! It was gravel every time I drove up there, once in a 460 Bronco and twice in a CJ-7. Fun to drive back then. :thumbsup2:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I was surprised to see it paved. Never been there but for whatever reason, my impression was of the unpaved run as you describe, Paul.

Wonder how the Tesla with 1K HP would do on the old, unpaved run. It'd likely be more like driving it on ice.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I haven't been there in years but when I was a kid and we lived in CO in the 80s it was still gravel.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Took my mom and dad up there once and when we got there it started snowing. No problem at all coming back down, when we got down it was 70 degrees! Don't think I would cherish coming down in those conditions on a newly paved road! Guard rails would probably get initiated. :unsure:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Dad drove us up once in our brand new 1953 Chevy. I remember he had to stop a couple of times to let it cool down. Also remember it being pretty scary. Haven't been back since although we did try for the cog rail a few years ago. Couldn't get a reservation the day we would be there. Still want to do that some day.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nice job! (y) I've been up there 3 times and I don't remember the road being that long. They've made a couple improvements since I was there last, like it's paved and they even installed guard rails! It was gravel every time I drove up there, once in a 460 Bronco and twice in a CJ-7. Fun to drive back then. :thumbsup2:

Never made it there,but when we visited Garden of the Gods not too far
from there I bought a t shirt that says -
"REAL MEN DON'T NEED GUARDRAILS"

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Drove up the Peak on a trip to Colorado years ago. We stayed about 3 minutes on top because son and wife no feel good. On the ride down, we stopped to admire the Coors plant and saw a coyote come out, look us over and took a pee before vanishing into the brush. Yesterday my daughter and I climbed Mt. Everett! 2604 feet, in SW Massachusetts. Dirt/gravel road did not go to the top but stopped about 3/4 mile short. I walked (VERY slowly) up the remaining road on my 87-year old legs to a clearing with a wooden bench overlooking the valley and a great view. There was a steep path to the top and my 54-year old daughter took it while I admired the view. Coming down was worse than going up. My legs were shaking when I got back to the car and they hurt this morning - but I did play some tennis with my old guys. That warm bath and Tylenol last night helped.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Around here we have Mt. Scott to drive or hike up, 2464 feet, and going down is always worse than going up. And I'm only 40.

Country flag
I feel for you. My youthful sports injuries are coming back to tell my knees they're not what they used to be and after a day of working outside, getting up from a chair can be a challenge. And the worst part?? I was just a so so kid athlete. Wouldn't be so bad if I'd injured them years ago and been really good when I did it each time...