Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I'm installing a temp sensor in my BE radiator for my electric fan and want to know if I should use the adapter that fits there and in the head? The sensor is a good fit in the radiator, as good as the adapter.
Rut
The head should be used for the gauge, your radiator should be used for the cooling fan. Reason is, you want to know the head temps because the dead temps are the most crucial.
If the sensor is about 1/4" (or more) shorter than the temp gauge bulb then you should be OK, otherwise you need the adapter (in the head).
You don't need an adapter for the radiator at all.
BillM
BillM,
Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I've decided to place the temp sensor for the gauge in the head and the fan sensor in the radiator. I thought about placing the fan sensor lower in the radiator, but for my application I don't think it's necessary.
Rut
The an sensor high up in the radiator will work fine as long as you never let the coolant level to get low. Better in the bottom hose if you can find a way to do that.
Learned the hard way!
What are you folks using for a fan temp sensor? I've been using the off the shelf parts store switch gear that uses a sensor you are supposed to locate in the fin's of the radiator. I don't trust it and with good reason. It seems to vary quite a bit in the temp the fan comes on at. I would like to go to a probe that is in the coolant in the bottom hose like I had on a Datsun car.
Mine's in the coolant upper hose with a variable toggle to adjust the temp. on/off setting...The fan is always "hot" (electrical)..... on a hot day the fan continues for about 10 min. after engine shutdown....until the coolant cools... Rids the bay of heat and potential for vapor lock... Bought it in the JC Whitney catalog years ago...
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.