• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sometimes you do what you just want to...

JimLaney

Sorting through old cardboard boxes filled with rat nesting material and dead insects, I decided to do something that interested me more than old rusted and greasy small parts. So I took an SU apart and soaked the larger castings in a bucket of carb cleaner.

When I opened the gallon can of cleaner after two days, the castings were still black but they wiped up with the help of toothbrushes and old tee-shirts. I was forced to smile. Renewal is a powerful effect. I can see the assembled pair of carbs in place, I smell the fuel and oil and hear the little 1098 smooth out in response to adjustment.

Doing something that I just want to gives me the enthusiasm to renew my efforts with the rusty nuts and bolts.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Jim -

You've definitely got the bug! And this current post speaks a truth that most of us know, but sometimes forget when we get bogged down or distracted with other duties. Thanks for posting!

Mickey

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Jim, echoing Mickey's thought, I'd add a few words to yours:

"Doing something that I just want to gives me the enthusiasm to renew my efforts with the rusty nuts and bolts" - and with all of life itself.

Tom M.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So Jim did you get that carb back together. It's been a month and a half. LOL. Spring is partway gone already but I hope to have Bugsy IV my
'60 BE back on his feet within next 2 weeks. Tires arrive for my 8 Spoke Polished Rims on Friday afternoon. That helps to make things more real. One set of Rear Springs all painted just needs assembly. The other set starts into paint process tomorrow. Rear End is almost all apart need to get wheel bearings out and I need to look at the 3.9 Differential I bought and see if it looks ok and turns freely. All fun coming up this weekend. I only got to drive this BE for 7-8 times in September and October after I got him running again. Scary brakes and scary suspension put him back on jack stands for the winter where he got front disks, all new suspension, sway bar, shocks and doing the same to the rear with wheel bearings, bushings, trashed the crappy Tube Shocks that were installed, upgraded later brakes, and resleeved Master Cylinder, and changing the rear end out to up top speed. 5 Speed and new engine come later in the Summer. I can't wait. So Jim keep plugging along you'll get there. I spent 3 years plugging away on a '59 that I finally said 'No mas!" I got tired of fighting rust everywhere on a BE I dragged back from Toronto. Plus State of OH said they would not register it without spending another 5-600 to ask a judge to issue a title for it. Missing a registration from 35 years ago and they want the paper copy that did not exist any more. Oh well I learned a lot about rotisseries and taking a Sprite totally apart. Sold it for almost what I had in it all in pieces.