• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sometimes it Doesn't Pat to be Curious (License)

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Took the Miata on our trip.We came into Warm Springs,VA,& I wanted to see
the rest of the town.I drove by a State Trooper,who was parked on the side of the road,
& noticed that that wasn't anything to see down that road,so I made a U turn,& drove
by him again,not speeding or doing anything intentionally wrong.
I then noticed that he was behind me,with his flashing lights going.I pulled over,
where he informed me that I didn't have a front license plate,which is illegal in VA.He wrote
me a ticket for that,as well as informing me that I had a brake light out,which I was not aware of.
He didn't write a ticket for the taillight problem.The ticket was $25,plus $51 in court fees.
The Miata didn't come with a front plate,or the bracket to mount one with,but I will pay the
fine & install a bracket.
He also told me that you need to display a front plate on a vehicle with antique plates,which
a car guy told me that you didn't,so I need to install that one too.

On the way home today,in almost the same exact spot,I got stopped again,where they were doing
a checkpoint.The Officer asked about my front plate,& after I told him about the earlier ticket,he let me go.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ouch. $51 court fees? Seems like revenue generation to me.

Gatheringtree

Gold
Country flag
This may help you ask the judge to dismiss your ticket. A document from the Commonwealth of Virginia DVM states, "Unless the vehicle was manufactured for one license plate only, you must display license plates on the front and the rear of your vehicle." Found near the bottom at: > Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles < If the judge dismisses your ticket, you can keep the paperwork in your glove box and show it to any trooper who stops you again. While this phrase is under the heading, Using your antique vehicle just for show, it may be pointed out that under the heading, "Using your vehicle for everyday driving," there is no phrase indicating otherwise; e.g., there is no stipulation that a front license plate is required for antique vehicles that were manufactured for one license plate only.

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd kept my PA registration current for the three years living in VA on both the MGB's. The Elan had no provision for a front tag but was VA registered. That was in the early seventies, the Elan did have a Langley gate permit on the front bumper. Never had an issue. Likely just dumb luck.