• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Something to keep you awake at night!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I haven't seen more than a few stars in years. Last time was years ago on Captiva Island in Florida. Even on the clearest night, light pollution here in the East ruins the night sky - no Milky Way that I used to see when I was a kid. Just the planet Venus, maybe Mars or Mercury, a few of the major stars and that's it. Todays kids will never get to see the universe as it really is.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Mercury is tough from anywhere. Here's a shot I took (with a simple camera) of Venus and Mercury. Mercury almost had to be pointed out to be found. Normally, the sun is just too bright (and close).
Venus and Mercury 23 April 02.jpg

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We were in Flagstaff, AZ a few years ago at the Lowell Observatory. There is a small plaque near the building that represents the sun. A few feet away another that is Mercury, then Venus and maybe Earth. Turns out Pluto according to the scale there is just east of Los Angeles. Bill Bryson, is a book, sort of a history of everything suggests the if one could scale atoms to solar system, the space between the electrons, the parts of atoms spinning around, I think, would be as great as the distance between the planets.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yes, the distances are really staggering, even for the planets.