• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shock Proof Gear Oli

67BJ8

Has anybody on this list used Redline Shock Proof Gear Oil in their rear end of their Healey? Also,
Is it something that you would want to use in the transmission?

Larry

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Larry,

I haven't used the Redline products in the rear end but have used the Redline MT-90 in the gearbox/overdrive with great success. If you search the archives here with "Redline" you can see there has been much discussion.

I ended up using Schaeffer #257 gear oil when I had the 3.54 rearend rebuilt because the mechanic recommended it so highly. I had a hard time finding it in California because they don't seem to use the usual retail outlets.

Cheers,
John

p.s. after reading your original question again I should point out that you would not want to use the same oil for the rearend and the gearbox as the weights and lubrication properties are completely different.

[ 10-21-2003: Message edited by: John Loftus ]</p>

Country flag
I have Redline gear oil in my Healey's rear end. I can't remember the exact product nomenclature as the remainder is either in the trunk of the Healey or stored in a shed in my brother's backyard. In either case, it's 1100 miles from me in Florida!

I can't attest to the benefit of Redline gear lube in the Healey since it hasn't really been driven since it was mechanically put back together. However, I also use Redline gear lube in the 3.73:1 LSD rear end in my 01 M Rdstr (315 hp). That car has about 24,000 miles on it since the swap (done at 3500 miles) and 502 documented autocross runs...
fest_sig.JPG

[ 10-21-2003: Message edited by: Randy Forbes ]</p>

V

vagt6

This may be blasphemous, but for Triumph spits and GT6's we must use GL5 spec in the gearbox/OD and GL4 in the diff.

GL5 gear oil has "corrosive" properties (caused mostly by sulphur, which eats yellow metal/brass parts) and it can be detected by the horrible, sulphur smell. GL4 gear oil does not have such properties and is recommended for the differential fluid. Redline sells both for about $10-13 per quart, and there are a host of other manufacturers.

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Interesting comment, but don't you have it backwards? Aren't the synchros in most gear boxes "yellow metal"? I can't think of anything in a BJ8 differental that is brass. Does any one else know of brass in the differential? I think the early BN1s had brass back there.

It seems to me that my Spitfire had the stinky stuff in the differential and motor oil in the gear box, but that was 20 years ago, so I might have been stupid then or am now having a "memory parity error", but that's my recollection and I'm sticking to it.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Yes, I think he has it backwards. Here is an cut and paste from the Redlineoil.com website

---------

GEAR AND SYNCHRONIZER WEAR PROTECTION
Most manufacturers of manual transmissions and transaxles recommend an 80W or 90W GL-4 lubricant. GL-5 gears oils which are required in hypoid differentials are not used in most synchromesh transmissions because the chemicals used to provide the extreme pressure protection can be corrosive to synchronizers, which are commonly made of brass or bronze. Typically, the use of a GL-5 lubricant in a synchromesh transmission will shorten the synchronizer life by one half. The extreme pressure requirements of spur gears and helical gears found in transmissions are not nearly as great as found in rear-wheel drive differentials. A GL-4 lubricant provides adequate protection for most manual transmissions, unless a unique design consideration requires the extra protection of a GL-5.

---------

Cheers,
John

V

vagt6

Thanks for the correction! I DID have it backwards. I apoligize if it mucked anyone up. And, I promise to never make any mistakes ever again on this site (ha ha).