Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
That kind of depends on how untouched you want the tub to remain. I've seen 2 different web pages in the last month that showed swapping in a collapsible column into an early Sprite. One used a later model Sprite/MG column and the other used what appeared to be a modified VW bug unit. Thanks to a browser meltdown I can't find the links again. The old VW column should be an easy modification and needs only 2 bolts at the top of the column for mounting. Of course there would be some cutting and welding needed but that shouldn't be too much work.
I'm planning on using some VW Super Beetle hardware because it incorporates u-joints on my BE.
Google is apparently not my friend at the moment. That is one of the pages I was looking for and couldn't find. I even tried a reverse search using a picture that I knew was associated with the page?
The VW Bug column might actually be a cleaner swap because of the way the lower portion of the collapsing column is restrained. It wouldn't need that large box structure added, just a bit of local reinforcement.
While this dies not appear to be that daunting of a project, I think additional cogitation is in order. Far easier to fabricate the mounting box and reuse a s
Spridget column that mates properly with the steering rack. He does not address how that got done. Or maybe it automagically connects to the rack.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.