• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Santa Fe Train Trip

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Interesting place indeed. Some of the scenes are very "Swiss". Do I see a tribute to the hot air balloons - miniature balloons, very colorful? Also enjoy that photo of the geometries in the building wall and windows.

That "pocket watch" on a plinth - was there a connection to Standard Time for the railroads there?

Any photos of the train ride? An "historical railroad" from NM's 19th century?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Saw more Spanish than Swiss, Mexican too. Nice shots. Saw the sign in front of the museum saying they don't open 'til May? Finding that odd, seems there were plenty of folks around over the weekend.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Saw more Spanish than Swiss, Mexican too. Nice shots. Saw the sign in front of the museum saying they don't open 'til May? Finding that odd, seems there were plenty of folks around over the weekend.
I would agree.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Any photos of the train ride? An "historical railroad" from NM's 19th century?
Not this time. Because the rain travels extensively throughout Indian Reservations, they don't want you to take pictures in many areas. However, here are a few pictures of the train and the ride from previous trips.

MantaΓ±o station is where we usually embark. This was looking north during Balloon Fiesta.
Santa Fe-1709.jpg

Train Driving, looking south towards city center.
Santa Fe-1719.jpg

Santa Fe-1724.jpg

When Bob McElway and his wife came though we too the Railrunner up to SF
Santa Fe May 2019-05.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks. Had to chuckle at the sign "Where Real Indians Trade".

Your photo of the "gremlin insects" on the roof top reminded me of one of BCF Brooklands' photos, on a city walk, I think in Gloucester, UK.

https://flic.kr/p/2nN5upG

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
We really enjoyed our train ride and visit in SF with Basil and his wife when we were traveling f through 4 years ago. Wow, time flies!

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We've enjoyed the train ride Santa Fe to Aluberque and return. When we were there in 2008? and 2018 the ticket price seemed reasonable. The scenery was good and enjoyed conversation with other riders.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
We've enjoyed the train ride Santa Fe to Aluberque and return. When we were there in 2008? and 2018 the ticket price seemed reasonable. The scenery was good and enjoyed conversation with other riders.
Seniors (60+) get reduced fairs daily and FREE on Wednesdays. Kids under 9 free and military veterans with ID always Free (me).
It's not really much faster than just driving up, but a heck of a lot more relaxing.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In each trip we stayed mostly around the station - had lunch, watched a movie and did a bit of tourist shopping. Relaxing trip and no car park fees.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Georgia O'Keefe - one of USA's greats. Brilliant art works, and open minded philosophy, quite forward for the time.

The Flag - O'Keefe.png

The Flag, 1918. Not shown in public until 1968.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Here are a few snaps from the trip we took with Bob and his wife where we visited the O'Keefe museum.

Santa Fe May 2019-01.jpg

Santa Fe May 2019-03.jpg

Santa Fe May 2019-07.jpg

Santa Fe May 2019-14.jpg

Santa Fe May 2019-15.jpg

Santa Fe May 2019-21.jpg

Santa Fe May 2019-20.jpg

Santa Fe May 2019-22.jpg

Just an aside - One Saturday morning in 2008, I was driving into Albuquerque on I-40 because I was working on a proposal for my company (SAIC). Driving through Tijeras canyon I noticed a dark green Ford Bronco in front of me. The only reason(s) I noticed it was it was a model and color very similar to one that my brother-in-law had once owned. The other reason it got my attention is that it had New York state tags on in and I remember thinking to myself, "they're a long way from home." There was a man and woman in the Bronco. They turned off the highway and took the NM North 14 exit. North 14 is a scenic byway (called the turquoise trail) that goes through Madrid (Where Wild Hogs was filmed) and then on to Santa Fe. A day or two later, via a front page article in our paper, I learned that Sir Paul McCartney and his girl friend had been on a "Rt 66 Under the Radar" tour in her old Ford Bronco - with New York tags! On the morning in question they had apparently driven up to Santa Fe and visited places like the O'Keefe museum and the Loretto Chapel (Miracle Staircase). After seeing pictures of their Bronco I am 99% sure that I was driving behind Paul that morning as I was heading to work.