• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rover SD1 3500 Up-date

Bret

Yoda
Rover SD1 3500 Update

Well I viewed the Rover this afternoon. All & all it’s in pretty fair shape considering it’s been sitting in the Museums warehouse for over three years it’s seems to be in pretty fair shape. All I can say about the interior is that it is all there and seems like the seats might have been recovered at least once as they seem too nice compaired to the rest of the interior. But man did those Brits have a thing for cloth or what – every square inch of the interior is lined with velour. Doors & hand rails etc. But amazingly enough not a rip or a tear anywhere to be found. The exterior isn’t great – the paint needs a re-blow. But the only rust I can find is along the base of windshield on the passenger’s side.

Mechanically it looks to all be there. Only problem is it won’t stay running. Give it a shot of starter fluid and she kicks over & purrs before she dies. The guy working on it is a Roverphile himself & even had his own personal SD1 3500 sitting right next to it to help troubleshoot the problem. According to this guy a few months back it ran fine and actually ran stronger than his. But now it is acting like the inertia cut-off is blocking fuel to the fuel rails but the switch in question is missing and seems to be bypassed with a jumper. They’ve powered up the fuel pump manually and it seems to be functioning properly but they want to make sure it’s pumping at the right pressure (35PSI they think). Anyway early next week he has another friend (& Museum volunteer) who used to run a Rover service & parts department of a dealership in Pasadena, CA - who has kindly offered his expertise to help de-bug the problem. Recommended that they install a pressure gauge on the fuel rail to confirm the right pressure is on tap then they’ll go from their.

Anybody got any ideas what else might be causing the engine not to work?

Ya know the funny thing when the guy & I and one of his friends started talking the next think I knew I was being quizzed about my 78B and how I got it through the emissions testing. Spent a whole hour talking about one of the guys B’s he’s been having trouble getting through the emissions testing.

Attachments

• 207238-Picture013.jpg
    207238-Picture013.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 330

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Re: Rover SD1 3500 Update

My SD-1 had the same problem...went & got a fuel pump out of the trunk of a Jaguar & installed i with the other thing right in front (under floor under driver seat) & problem went away....but I think the pump was in the 40-something psi

Yep, airangen't that unholstery/velour interior great!

Are the louvers still on the rear window? And is the air dam still way back up under the grille?

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda

[ QUOTE ]
My SD-1 had the same problem...went & got a fuel pump out of the trunk of a Jaguar & installed i with the other thing right in front (under floor under driver seat) & problem went away....but I think the pump was in the 40-something psi

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Tony,

I’ll pass that little bit of info on to the brain trust over there at the museum’s garage. Funny the one guy who said he swears the fuel pump works & has enough pressure, but I like the other Rover’s expert’s suggestion of a putting a pressure gauge on the fuel rail. That would be in line with your suggestion and should tell us for sure if the fuel pump is ok if the pressure is where it should be.

[ QUOTE ]

Yep, airangen't that unholstery/velour interior great!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yuk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Are the louvers still on the rear window? And is the air dam still way back up under the grille?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, no louvers. Kalifornia DOT Nanny’s don’t allow them back then. But I bet I could get away with installing them if I found some aftermarket. As for the Air dam? Not sure what you are talking about but there isn’t an air dam.

Ya know its funny but I got to admit that one of the coolest things I like about the SD1 is it’s forward opening bonnet. How sweet is that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

[ QUOTE ]
Nope, no louvers. Kalifornia DOT Nanny’s don’t allow them back then. But I bet I could get away with installing them if I found some aftermarket. As for the Air dam? Not sure what you are talking about but there isn’t an air dam.

[/ QUOTE ]

The louvers were stock on the car...you can probably find a set in a junkyard on eBay

Look way up under the front of the car...there should be a plastic "skid" cover with a downturned air dam about a foot or so up under the front end.

Did you find the multiple glove boxes under the dash?

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda

Yup kind of interesting having the second glove box under the steering wheel. The Fuse block housing location on the right side of the guage pod is - umm - interesting.

More good news under the bonnet is that all of the A/C components seem to be intact. Once she's running and I take her home I'll probably go throuh brakes & suspention and pop for a new set of kicks (tires). She looks like she might be a pretty good project car.

Also sitting in the car it feels pretty comfortable. Heck even the back seat with it's fold down arm rest is down right roomy when compared to today's sedans. As for the front I like the center console & the location of the power window switches. And the driving position (stick, wheel & peddles) is perfict for me.

BTW How do they perform Tony?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Once you ride in her, you'll never go back to another sedan!

DieselBrad673

Those are awesome cars, looked like a Ferrari Daytona up front. I think they only sold 'em here in 1980.

urchin

Jedi Trainee

Yes, they were brought in only for 1980. Car & Driver put one on the cover and trumpeted the car's qualities. I still have the issue at home and love reading it. A Land Rover friend had one in southern Maine and really loved driving it. At the British Invasion in Stowe, VT, each year, I see a NH owner with his SD 1. The car is a joy to see and hear, and according to him, to drive, too. If I needed a 4-door saloon car, I'd buy one with confidence.

Jeff