Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Unfortunately, I did mine over 25 years ago so not sure how accurate my memory is of removing that plug. I seem to recall just puncturing it with a screwdriver and prying it out. Note that this was with the block stripped so I wasn't too concerned about stray metal bits getting into the engine.
Hopefully someone who has done it a little more recently will chime in here so don't go pulling out your screwdriver yet.
I did mine in situ which is Latin for 'inconvenient'.
I used a dremel to weaken it a bit in the center and also along the 'lip'. I was then able to punch a stubby screwdriver thru and twist. Once I got some movement I was able to work it out.
I wish I could fit a slide hammer into that spot. I got so frustrated with it that I decided to finish the exhaust instead... car sounds great! back to the plug tomorrow, going to try a self tapping screw and a wonder bar, hope it works.
My description of 'How I did it' was deceptively short -- I only mentioned what worked. I tried other several things first including a self-tapping screw and the pry bar.
Really that plug is fairly thin -- though I had wailed on it and ground on it a bit before I punched the stuuby screwdriver thru. Once I got something in there that would twist it it came out easily. Good luck.
this plug seems to be at least 14 gauge, a lttle heavier than you had described geo, but never the less I'll keep "pluging"away till I get there.thanks for the info guys.
Really that plug is fairly thin -- though I had wailed on it and ground on it a bit before I punched the stuuby screwdriver thru. Once I got something in there that would twist it it came out easily. Good luck.
I guess by 'thin' I meant thinner that a freeze plug/core plug. Yes, if you can get stubby screwdriver blade into it then you have something you can apply a lot of (twisting) force too even in that confined space.
I have struggled with this plug for WAYYY to long. I have a hole in it, but it won't twist. I even modified a small claw hammer and it doesn't work. My question is since I need to replace to oil pan gasket anyway, if I drop the pan can I get to the plug if I push it all the through from the front? I accidently pushed it in about an 1/8 of an inch so can I keep going? HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!
As I recall there is no access to the back side of that plug - it is ina blind area cast into the block.
Mine went in a bit before I was able to start twisting it, that may actually help as it means you are getting some movement (albeit not in the direction you really want).
I dropped the pan and your correct geo...no access. well you can see it, you can touch it, but you can't get it out.resume in the morning, it's getting to cold to work. HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL! Thanks for the help.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.