Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
What do you guys run for your engine and transmission? My book suggests 20/50 engine oil for both the engine and transmission - is this correct? Also, what type of fluid do you use for the master cylinder? thanks, Kevin
As far as engine oil, I've switched to Valvoline Racing Oil 20w-50 from the local auto store. The "racing" is hype but it does contain zinc which is important in these old technology engines.
I've read that Castrol 20w-50 contains enough zinc for old engines as well. (But <span style="font-style: italic">only </span>the 20w-50 has it.) Castrol LMA brake fluid is safe for the old natural rubber bits in the brake system.
At least, that's the last I'd heard...formulations may have changed recently, as they do.
I knew.there wouldn't be many people on the forum today. I figured most would be out having fun driving their cars. I sure hope I can get mine up and running before the good weather ends. Both my manuals say to use 20/50 oil for the transmission, but I have never heard of using engine oil in the transmission before. The PO definitely used 90wt. Of course he used grease for the steering rack too. Thanks for your help.
Kevin
My book says 30W in the transmission. BTW it was taken from the owners manual.
It must have worked as the transmission lasted 50 years. Have had this car since 1973
NO such oil 20/50 in 1958
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.