• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Questions about Lucas P700 headlights

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello,
I have a 1960 Bugeye. I have thought about getting some of the tripod headlights for my car, but had a few questions. Were the P700's the correct option for my period car? If there is someone who has these on their car, do you like them? Are reproductions any good? What is the going price for NOS or used? Could anyone give me a closeup shot of the front and back of one of these that is original? An answer to any of my questions would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It is my understanding that all Bugeyes for the states would have had seal beam headlights, unlike the brits which had a reflector and the separate bulb. Also their headlights were designed for RHD, where we were all LHD. Terry Horler in his book makes no mention of PL700 headlights. Most likely a modern day thing designed to sell more parts.
Scott in CA

john_j

Jedi Trainee
Tripods weren't ever fitted to Frogs on either side of the pond, the standard lights were 7", aren't tripods 8"?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
To my knowledge and that's not the best, tripods were only fitted to the high dollar cars. To me, their only good for looks anyway. There are other much cheaper lights that give better lighting. But, to each his own.

I like these from VB which gives excellant light, but that's just me;
4232839587_ef62774820_d.jpg

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
ichthos said:
Hello,
I have a 1960 Bugeye. I have thought about getting some of the tripod headlights for my car, but had a few questions. Were the P700's the correct option for my period car? If there is someone who has these on their car, do you like them? Are reproductions any good? What is the going price for NOS or used? Could anyone give me a closeup shot of the front and back of one of these that is original? An answer to any of my questions would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

Hello Kevin,
The Healey had 7" sealed beam headlight. They did not come from the factory with P700 nor PL700, which are also 7", but not a sealed beam.

I have PL700 on my car. I like the look and you can install a brighter halogen bulb. The better bulbs really make a hugh improvement. (If you do, make sure to put a relay in the circuit, to protect the light switch)

Here's a couple photos on my BJ8
Cheers,
Roger

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I didn't expect this post to surface again. Good timing though. I eventually did find some NOS PL700 lights on Ebay - the seller listed them in an odd way so that I only found them by accident.I ended up putting them on my TR6. I would like to go a little brighter with halogens. Can you tell me the number of the halogen bulb I need or if it requires anything special besides the relay? How and where did you install the relay? If I were to go into a parts store, what would I ask for? Kind of a novice at all this, so any details are greatly appreciated.
Kevin

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You can't effectively put halogen bulbs in the original lenses (not even the ones that Moss sells today). The lens and reflector are not correct. I have a few of the ones designed for halogen bulbs for less than Moss or VB sell the incandescent ones. They are PL-700 replicas, specifically designed for halogen bulbs. I have a very good deal on them. Bulbs included. 60 W high/55w low. Pics of a few I've installed recently below.

MG1100halogenOffcu.jpg

MG1100halogenOffmid-1.jpg

ericsTRv_PL700.jpg

V8Poppy

Freshman Member
Country flag
You can't effectively put halogen bulbs in the original lenses (not even the ones that Moss sells today). The lens and reflector are not correct. I have a few of the ones designed for halogen bulbs for less than Moss or VB sell the incandescent ones. They are PL-700 replicas, specifically designed for halogen bulbs. I have a very good deal on them. Bulbs included. 60 W high/55w low. Pics of a few I've installed recently below.

MG1100halogenOffcu.jpg

MG1100halogenOffmid-1.jpg

ericsTRv_PL700.jpg
How do we order these from you?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I can attest that PL-700 Repro's do not work with LED Bulbs either, and not with Halogen Lamps as well. The Light Pattern was terrible and they could not be aimed properly. I went with a Eurospec Headlamp sold by LBCC and moved over my LED Headlamps. Not perfect but far better than the Tripod Lamps.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You can get copies of these from ebay, at least here in the UK, not sure if they do a LH set on your ebay, they come complete with halogen bulbs