• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Progress at a snail's pace

JimLaney

Since the last post the wheels have been media blasted, primed, and painted with Ford silver wheel paint and clear coated. 5 tires (needed a spare), Kumho SOLUS TA11 Tire 155/80R13 79T mounted and balanced. In mounting the wheels on the car there were two studs that no nut I had would thread all the way flush to secure the wheel to the front right spindle. There are 33 wheel nuts and any of them would thread up snug on 14 of the 16 studs. Naturally this was not evident until mounting the last wheel. I tried cleaning the threads with a small wire brush to no avail. Using my SAE die set, I was unable to find any die that would even start on the threads of the studs in question. There is no visible damage to the nuts or the threads of the studs.

Rather than apply more brute force and ignorance to this problem a search revealed conflicting answers to the question of whether the thread pattern was different for Whitworth threads compared to SAE. Apparently there is a slight discrepancy when one goes over an inch in length. Having no Whitworth die to clear the threads on the studs in question, there seems to be no solution that will make it possible to remove the nuts on the side of the road if a tire change is ever necessary in the future.

Meantime the rusty rocker arm assembly has been soaked in diesel fuel, dried, parts separated and strung on a wire in order, rocker shaft wire brushed and polished, all soaked in apple cider vinegar, dried, flash rust set in, shaft brushed again and treated with fogging oil while individual rocker arms await the attention of a small wire brush wheel for side surfaces. A through clean up of each part of the rocker assembly is imminent.

For some reason it seems important to insure that the engine and transmission is all there and that the engine will run before proceeding to other sub assemblies. Not logical but the way this is proceeding.