• Hey Guest!
    British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!

    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)

Popular Science 1961 Article

Telly

Senior Member
Offline
what Do you mean the doors don't close....It's a Triumph!
Herald-PopSci.jpg
 
I never realized how light the Herald is, only 1,680 lbs; lot lighter than the TR6.
BTW, fit/finish was not a high priority in that era and certainly not in the Triumph lineup!
 
UmmYeahOk said:
30-40mpg? that cant be true. Otherwise people would be buying up these and forgetting about hybrids altogether
I'm sure it was -- and still is -- true. However, one has to keep in mind that such figures might not be obtained at what we consider "highway" speeds today. More likely, such figures for the Heralds were obtained at more like 45-50 mph speeds. My own 1200 Herald, with single carburetor, averages around 30-31 mpg in "mixed" driving, and I've seen upwards of 35-36 mpg on trips averaging 60-65 mph. That's a good 4000+ rpm for the 1200; for the 948s it was a good bit higher rpm (with a 4.55:1 diff for the twin-carb and a 4.875:1 diff for the single carb)!

Different times, and well before 5- or 6-speed gearboxes with an overdrive top gear.

But yeah...around town or on country roads, very good mileage indeed!
 
Andrew Mace said:
UmmYeahOk said:
30-40mpg? that cant be true. Otherwise people would be buying up these and forgetting about hybrids altogether
I'm sure it was -- and still is -- true. However, one has to keep in mind that such figures might not be obtained at what we consider "highway" speeds today. More likely, such figures for the Heralds were obtained at more like 45-50 mph speeds. My own 1200 Herald, with single carburetor, averages around 30-31 mpg in "mixed" driving, and I've seen upwards of 35-36 mpg on trips averaging 60-65 mph. That's a good 4000+ rpm for the 1200; for the 948s it was a good bit higher rpm (with a 4.55:1 diff for the twin-carb and a 4.875:1 diff for the single carb)!

Different times, and well before 5- or 6-speed gearboxes with an overdrive top gear.

But yeah...around town or on country roads, very good mileage indeed!

I've never gotten even close to that, but then again, I have a 1300 and tend to drive like I just stole it.
 
I'm not sure but the ad might be measuring in UK (Imperial) gallons which is approximately 20% larger than the US gallon (them 'mericans are always changing stuff)

If that's the case then the 40 mpg claims would be about 33mpg in american gallons; still pretty good though.
 
AltaKnight said:
I'm not sure but the ad might be measuring in UK (Imperial) gallons which is approximately 20% larger than the US gallon (them 'mericans are always changing stuff)
Yeah, we're just never happy with the way things are! :laugh:

But it's really not an ad; more a "capsule review" of the car, in an American magazine. So the "short guy" (hey, I more than resemble that remark, at 5'6"!) is probably leaning over slightly, whilst calculating mileage in tiny American gallons!
 
Back
Top