• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

PLEASE FOLLOW THE F****** ADVICE YOU ASK FOR

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Too often a guy will post describing a symptom, ask for advice on how to find out what is causing it, and then fail to follow the advice given. For example, there is now an open thread by someone who has apparent ignition trouble and has been advised by several of the experienced people to, among other things, change the condenser. After the advice was posted, the inquirer posts describing what he has done, says he is still having the problem, and says that he has not changed the condenser. WTF. So none of us yet knows if the problem is being caused by the condenser.
Those giving advice do not have hands on your car. Maybe if we did we could find your problem without taking all the steps we recommend to you. I sometimes spend more than half an hour crafting concise advice that tries to explain how a system works, what to check, and why. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but when you randomly choose to ignore a step in the suggested solution, that's half an hour I could better have spent drinking rum. Harrumph.
Bob

Last edited:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Well said!

I've posted the same issue many times - problem is stated (usually nebulously), lots of advice given, some taken, some ignored. Follow up questions from those trying to help are never answered. If you're lucky, the OP finally posts "Fixed! Thanks guys."

And no one learns what fixed it.

yeesh

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
After the advice was posted, the inquirer posts describing what he has done, says he is still having the problem, and says that he has not changed the condenser. WTF. So none of us yet knows if the problem is being caused by the condenser.
Those giving advice do not have hands on your car. Maybe if we did we could find your problem without taking all the steps we recommend to you. I sometimes spend more than half an hour crafting concise advice that tries to explain how a system works, what to check, and why. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but when you randomly choose to ignore a step in the suggested solution, that's half an hour I could better have spent drinking rum. Harrumph.
Bob

I better prefer Walker Black, and the problem vs. the advice has simply led me to more ice. The time spent is often Quixotic.

...just sayin'...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
They come, they ask, they go, Whats that all about.
even a simple reaction, a like wouldnt go a miss, but nowt, zip, nothing. it can be frustrating to those that give there time and knowledge.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The reason I rarely answer a question anymore, unless I know who's asking. When I ask a question, I always answer anyone who replys, that's common courtesy, of course, some people could care less about one's time and effort to help. :rolleyes2:

OP
B

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I still answer almost anything within my competence as long as there is enough info to reach a hypothesis or conclusion. But there are a couple of folks I don't answer for the reasons expressed in my starting post.
Bob