• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Picking up a MGB this afternoon!

raceperformance

Freshman Member
Hello! I just wanted to say hello as I am picking up my mother in laws 1976 MGB this afternoon. This will be my first experience with these cars so I have quite a bit to learn. Here is what I know about the car, it’s pretty scary.

She is the original owner, and it has 18,000 original miles.

It has not been started moved or touched in 16 years, and

some sort of animal (I'm guessing mouse) has chewed through some of the electrical.

I’m taking on this project as a gift for my wife who has fond memories of riding in the car as a child.

I will add some pictures as soon as I dig in to see what I have to work with.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum!

Member Tony Barnhill has a wonderful article on his website about waking a sleeping LBC (little British car). Check it out at www.theautoist.com.

Yours will no doubt require more attention, but it's a great start. Don't be bashful about posting; this is a great place to learn and share experiences.

Mickey

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
They have even been known to answer questions before they are asked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Welcome aboard,look forward to hearing your progress.

Stuart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
R

raceperformance

Freshman Member
Here are some pictures:

mgb1.jpg

mgb2.jpg

mgb3.jpg

mgb4.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Let the games begin!

Congratulations!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif Mickey

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Welcome - nice first car....before you go too far, if the top is in decent shape, grab the owner's manual & see how to fold the top to keep from damaging it! If you don't have a manual, let us know & somebody can fax you the instructions...how you have it folded right now will break the small corner windows!

OP
R

raceperformance

Freshman Member
Thanks Tony for the info. The top was ripped up pretty bad when I got it and the windows were already broken. I’ll get a new top eventually, but I have a long way to go before I’m at that point.

I have my first of many questions. The factory jack location is pretty rusty, where can I safely support the rear of the car?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If the factory jack position is rusty, you probably have other rust issues...how are your sills & rockers?

Put a jack under the center of the rear end & jack her there.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Probably time for Basil to move this thread over to the MG Forum!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome!
Congrats on your "new" MG.
Buy lots of penetrating oil (such as "PB Blaster") as you work on things....it may keep some of the nuts and bolts from stripping or breaking.
And go easy if you remove any nuts or bolts...."rock" the fastner back and forth (tighten then loosen just a little bit) before trying to unscrew.
G'luck.