• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Paint

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Getting there, can someone tell me if there is a gasket between the door handle and the door skin?

Attachments

• DSCF2061.JPG
    DSCF2061.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • DSCF2056.JPG
    DSCF2056.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • DSCF2040.JPG
    DSCF2040.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • DSCF2042.JPG
    DSCF2042.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 62

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Wow! Looking great. My '48 does not have gaskets behind the door handles.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You're both doing exceptional work. Beautiful.

Wow! Looking great. My '48 does not have gaskets behind the door handles.

With pulling these old lumps from obscurity, I'd often wondered how many hands have been there ahead of us, what "sins" have been committed. Like: where there ever gaskets there from the off? Not likely in post-war production, BUT! Will all this work end up being judged by some concourse standard? Not likely. So it's a matter of personal choice, IMO. Once had the "privilege" of doing a nuts-n-bolts restoration of a mid-fifties DB 2/4 drop-head. Came to us in literal bushels and buckets. Some old photos could be found, manuals and literature had to be sourced pre-internet. A lot of it was done "best guess" for the time of manufacture, some was "this would be prudent". If it were me, after all the painstaking work to make the finish as good as possible (and likely MUCH better than original) there would be some sort of insulator between door pulls and the paint. But that'd be falling under that "personal choice" category.

And as always, YMMV. 😉

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
All I know is my Father was the second owner of this car and for whatever reason when it died (engine) he parked it in the buggy shed in 1963 due to a lower end problem. This car was a virgin until I took it apart. I am now putting the interior back in the car almost done.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
So you had that car longer than I had mine, at least in the family. That's a nice bit of history. Mine was given to me in '62 and I don't know anything about it before that except that it came from a salvage yard.

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I should have mentioned that Dad paid $150 and change for the car and I have the sales slip, I do wonder how back in the early 60s he would have brought it back to life? Where would you get parts the rod bearings are babbited which there were plenty of shops that could do the work, what if it needed a head or valve guides? The most single expense other than the paint was the rods at over a hundred bucks each. It is not a very common car here in the states and if my Dad had not owned this car I would never have touched it, I now have a shade over $5000.00 and real money that is about what it is worth, I just hope my Son will keep it going and pass it on to his son.
Been a hard day time for the sack.
God Bless the Ukrainians
#$%@ Y@$ Joe Biden

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Great story Jim. A local Ford dealer sold these cars for a while. Not sure when it stopped but some time in the '50s probably. They still had some parts in stock when I got mine in '62. I douldn't find anyone to rebabbit my rods though.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Now this might sound strange and not directly connected to your engine but many years ago I knew an elderly gent that was a sprint car racer and builder, I'm speaking of model T Ford open-wheel race cars. The T's had Babbit bearings that would not hold up and he found that using Pontiac rods with bearing inserts could be used and would hold up under harsh conditions. My point is, that it might be possible to use modified rods from another engine that uses inserts. :unsure: PJ

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
Hey Paul, Small Spares has the updated rods for the 1172 a bit pricey but I know I saved money by not going with babbit.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Paternal grandfather once told me he'd used oil soaked leather from a belt to replace the babbiting in a Model T. What he didn't relate is how long it ran like that. :rolleyes:

OP
algot1901

algot1901

Bronze
Country flag
I heard the same thing from my granddaddy, I have vague memories of riding with him and granny to the cafe in a Model A in winter, he would first have to attach the radiator hose and then fill it with some concoction he made, start the A and lastly haul bricks from the oven to keep your feet warm. Do not give me the Old Days no no no:driving:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Do not give me the Old Days no no no:driving:

Must agree!! Had John and Mabel Ringling's Model-S Ford in our shop once, water pump leak. After that work was done we wanted to run it to be sure it was really fixed before it moved on to a new owner someplace in Texas. Crank-start... not!

Learned a LOT about spark boxes and coffee can carbs as a result.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
In case one doesn't know what a Model-S-Ford is. It was a combo of the N and R Fords. Definitely not a turnpike cruiser! :jester:
Model-S-Ford.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In case one doesn't know what a Model-S-Ford is. It was a combo of the N and R Fords. Definitely not a turnpike cruiser! :jester:
View attachment 78164

Wonder how many were made and painted red. The Ringling one was. Rumor had it John R. insisted. Could that be the same car?

Will have to dig out photos of partner and self running it down the street, taking turns driving it. :cool:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I don't know anything about these like I do Model Ts but it probably had buzz coils and a roller distributor for ignition since Henry used that system a lot, then again it could also have had a direct mag ignition. :unsure:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
ISTR the wood box with the coils. Wish I'd taken more photos.