• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oops - Maybe we should have checked this first

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Walt - could you show a photo of that espresso maker you mention?

I'm a nut on old technology. Here's one I used to have.

d3c4df4ed118f267fabcf94534769e3c.jpg

Traded it for a more modern one:

61JjGztBtTL._SY606_.jpg

Now use a "Flair" hand pulled maker.

c700x420.jpg

When company wants good *strong* coffee, but not espresso, I use a "mokka" type:

710c9s4e4WL._SX466_.jpg

Thanks.
Tom M.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tom, a moka pot is the one I have, which is why I said it doesn't make a true cup of espresso. I really like the first one you have pictured, was it a stove top version or electric?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Walt - that first photo is a stove top unit. Worked fine until it exploded ... Safety valve got stuck closed. It made coffee similar to the Bialetti type.

Bialetti also makes the "Brikka", which creates a foam similar to espresso crema. Close, but no cigar.

brikka-bg.jpg

Actually pretty good, but again, not really espresso.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tom, the coffee maker has to make what, 9 bars of pressure, to be considered espresso?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Walt - more than you ever wanted to know about espresso and pressure:

https://compoundcoffee.com/experiments/12_Brew-Pressure-Impact-Sidamo-Guji

The combination of roast, grind size, flow rate, and pressure through the head - and probably a zillion other factors - effect your perfect espresso.

Somehow, I'm a bit reluctant to buy a $5000 espresso maker, but I've run into folks who swear it's worth it. Of course, they tend to have a rather hefty income and/or bank account.

Back to reality. Affordable cafe' au lait and beignets.

Beignet3.jpg

If I lived in New Orleans, I'd weigh 300 pounds.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hmmm, $5000 k.

$3.50 per latte. = 1,428 lattes.

6 per week (one free in 7) = 238 weeks.

divided by 52 weeks = 4.57 years

not including electricity, coffee or milk.

How old are you Tom? :smile:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hmmm, $5000 k.

$3.50 per latte. = 1,428 lattes.

6 per week (one free in 7) = 238 weeks.

divided by 52 weeks = 4.57 years

not including electricity, coffee or milk.

How old are you Tom? :smile:
I'm glad we only paid $2,500 for the Missus' machine.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And speaking of "oops" (the thread), this happened a few days ago. Not so "Excellent." Stay with it. One wonders if the ship was going to just sneak away! :wink-new:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
That's the kind of thing that can ruin your day.

Indeed. Doubly so when you realize that the heading is Carnival Cruise ship and while it is a cruise ferry, it isn't Carnival, so one gets the crash but another gets the bad reputation.

Redlacquer

Freshman Member
Everything said about Starbucks is true, however, compared to the slightly brown water we used to get in a little foam cup it's heaven

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Did you know that in Italy they have a law that specifies how much pressure the coffee has to be made under for it to be espresso? The small stove top ones don't develop enough pressure to make legally recognized espresso but I do like the one I have, my dad had me pick it up a few years before he died and it does make a good (if not small) cup o' joe.
Slight subject change but related. I saw last week that a Belgian court ruled that Subway bread has too much sugar to be legally called bread.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Slight subject change but related. I saw last week that a Belgian court ruled that Subway bread has too much sugar to be legally called bread.
I believe Subway has run into the same problem in Ireland.